The Molecular Biology of Marek’s Disease Herpesvirus
Marek’s disease (MD) is a lymphoproliferative disease in chickens that was originally described by Marek (1907). A herpesvirus was isolated in cell cultures derived from tumors and from peripheral-blood lymphocytes (Churchill and Biggs, 1967; Solomon et al., 1968; Nazerian et al., 1968; Nazerian and Burmester, 1968), which implied that the virus is the causative agent of this disease (Churchill and Biggs, 1968; Witter et al., 1969). Although Marek’s disease virus (MDV) is generally found in the cell-associated form in tissue culture, cell-free virus is produced in the feather follicles of infected birds and released into the air (Calneck et al., 1970; Nazerian and Witter, 1970). Both cell-associated virus in infected cells and cell-free virus, extracted from the feather follicle, Can induce MD tumor in chickens by inoculation.
KeywordsThymidine Kinase Lymphoblastoid Cell Line Sedimentation Coefficient Chick Embryo Fibroblast Feather Follicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bülow, V. von, 1971, Diagnosis and certain biological properties of the virus of Marek’s disease, Am. J. Vet. Res. 32:1275.Google Scholar
- Chubb, R.C., and Churchill, A.E., 1968, Precipitating antibodies associated with Marek’s disease, Vet. Res. 83:4.Google Scholar
- Kaaden, O.R., 1978, Transfection studies in vitro and in vivo with isolated Marek’s disease virus DNA, in: Oncogenesis and Herpesviruses III (G. de Thé, W. Henle, F. Rapp, eds.), IARC Scientific Publication, Part 2, p. 267, Lyon.Google Scholar
- Lau, R.Y., and Nonoyama, M., 1980, Repliction of the resident Marek’s disease virus genome in synchronized nonproducer MKT-1 cells, J. Virol, 44:912.Google Scholar
- Lee, L.F., Nazerian, K., and Boezi, J.A., 1975, Marek’s disease virus DNA in a Chicken lymphoblastoid Cell line (MSB-1) and in virus-induced tumours, in: Oncogenesis and Herpesviruses II (G. de Thé, W. Henle, F. Rapp, eds.), IARC Scientific Publication, Part 2, p. 199, Lyon.Google Scholar
- Marek, J., 1907, Multiple Nervenentzündung (Polyneuritis) bei Hühnern, Dtsch. Tieraerztl. Wochenschr. 15:417.Google Scholar
- Nonoyama, M., and Pagano, J.S., 1971, Detection of Epstein-Barr viral genome in nonproductive cells, Nature (London) New Biol. 233:103.Google Scholar
- Settnes, O.P., 1972, Some Characteristics of the A antigen in Marek’s disease virus-infected cell Cultures, Pathol. Microbiol. Scand. 80:817.Google Scholar