Intimacy—a much abused word. When I was first approached by the editors of this volume to write a chapter on intimacy and group psychotherapy, I thought to myself, how freely and mechanically the word is used in our culture. There is even a book called The Intimate Enemy. And then I thought of the loneliness of our culture and what the search for intimacy may tell us about where we are in the American culture at the beginning of a new decade.
KeywordsGroup Psychotherapy Group Leader Group Therapist Strip Mining Encounter Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barbach, L., & Levine, L. Shared intimacies. New York: Doubleday, 1980.Google Scholar
- De Tocqueville, A. Democracy in America. R. D. Heffner (Ed.). New York: Mentor, 1956. (Originally published, 1835.)Google Scholar
- Erickson, M. H., & Rossi, E. L. Hypnotherapy: An exploratory casebook. New York: Irvington, 1979.Google Scholar
- Hartcollis, P. Long term hospital treatment for adult patients with borderline and narcissistic disorders. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 1980, 44, 212–226.Google Scholar
- Kellerman, H. Group psychotherapy and personality: Intersecting structures. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1979.Google Scholar
- Khan, M. M. R. The function of intimacy, and acting out in perversions. In R. Slovenko (Ed.), Sexual behavior and the law. Springfield, 111.: Charles C Thomas, 1965.Google Scholar
- Mullan, H., & Rosenbaum, M. Group psychotherapy: Theory and practice (Rev. ed.). New York: The Free Press, 1978. New York Times, August 20, 1980.Google Scholar
- Petter, J.J. Recherches sur Vecologieet I’ethologie des lemuriens malgaches. Memoires du Museem National de 1’Histoire Naturelle, Serie A: Zoologie. Vol. 27, Part I, 1962.Google Scholar
- Roback, H. B., Abramowitz, S. I., & Strassberg, D. S. Group psychotherapy research: Commentaries and selected readings. Huntington, N.Y.: Krieger, 1979.Google Scholar
- Rogers, C. The process of the basic encounter group. Unpublished manuscript. La Jolla, Ca.: Western Behavioral Science Institute, 1966.Google Scholar
- Rosenbaum, M. Group psychotherapies. In B. Wolman (Ed.), The Therapist’s Handbook. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1976.Google Scholar
- Yalom, I. D. The theory and practice of group psychotherapy. New York: Basic Books, 1975.Google Scholar
- Zablocki, B. A study of contemporary American communes. New York: The Free Press, 1980.Google Scholar