Metronidazole and Misonidazole in Cancer Chemotherapy: Effect of Cell Density on Drug Activity
Part of the NATO Advanced Study Institutes Series book series (NSSA, volume 42)
Metronidazole (Flagyl) has been widely used for many years for the treatment of infections by anaerobic microorganisms (1).
KeywordsCancer Chemotherapy High Cell Density Serratia Marcescens Hypoxic Cell Sodium Lactate
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. J. Baines, Metronidazole: sixteen years of developments: metronidazole, in: Excerpta Medica, S. M. Finegold ed. p.61, and refs cited (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.R. L. Willson and P. T. Emmerson, Reaction of triacetone-anine-N-oxyl with radiation-induced radicals from DNA and from deoxyribonucleotides in aqueous solution, in: “Radioprotection and Sensitization”, H. L. Moroson and M. Quintilian ed., Taylor and Francis Ltd., London (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.H. N. Prince, E. Grunberg, E. Titsworth and W. F. Delorenzo, Effects of 1-(2-nitro-l-imidazole)-3-methoxy-2-propanol and 2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-l-ethanol against anaerobic and aerobic bacteria and protozoa, Applied Microbiol., 18: 728 (1969).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Sridhar, C. Koch and R. Sutherland, Cytotoxicity of two nitroimidazole radiosensitizers in an in vitro tumour model. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 1: 1149 (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.J. L. Foster, Differential cytotoxic effects of metronidazole and other nitro heterocyclic drugs against hypoxic tumour cells, Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 2:Suppl.Ill: 153 (1977).Google Scholar
- 16.E. J. Hall, R. Miller, M. Astor and F. Rini, The nitroimidazoles as radiosensitizers and cytotoxic agents. Br. J. Cancer, 37:Suppl.Ill: 120 (1978).Google Scholar
- 18.S. H. Basaga, J. R. Dunlop, A. J. F. Searle and R. L. Willson, Metronidazole (Flagyl) and Misonidazole (Ro-07-0582): reduction by facultative anaerobes and cytotoxic action on hypoxic bacteria and mammalian cells in vivo. Br. J. Cancer, 37:Suppl.Ill: 132 (1978).Google Scholar
- 20.E. 0. Pettersen, Toxic and radiosensitizing effect of the 2-nitroimidazole Misonidazole (Ro-07-0582) on murine CFU in vivo. Br. J. Cancer 37:Suppl.Ill: 107 (1978).Google Scholar
- 22.D. W. Whillans and A. M. Rauth, An analysis of changes in oxygen tension in stirred cellular suspensions under con-ditions of radiolytic and cellular consumption. Cancer Clin. Trials, 3: 63 (1980).Google Scholar
- 23.B. H. J. Bielski and P. C. Chan, Kinetic study by pulse radiolysis of the lactate dehydrogenase-catalyzed chain oxidation of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide by H02 and 07 radicals. J. Biol. Chem., 250: 318 (1974).Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1982