Pharmacokinetic and Therapeutic Studies with Misonidazole and Desmethylmisonidazole in Man
The role of hypoxic cell radiosensitisers in the management of cancer in patients has been the subject of several meetings (1,2) including the present one. This report concerns itself with some clinical studies carried out by the author and his colleagues at Cambridge, England, principally with misonidazole (Ro 07-0582 Roche Laboratories, N.S.C. 261037) and more recently with its O-demethylated metabolite, desmethylmisonidazole (Ro 05-9963, Roche Laboratories, N.S.C. 261036).
KeywordsCyst Fluid Hypoxic Cell Pilonidal Sinus Cancer Clinical Trial Plasma Pharmacokinetic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hypoxic Cell Sensitisers in Radiobiology and Radiotherapy. 8th L. H. Gray Conference, Cambridge 5th–9th Sept. 1977. Br. J. Cancer 38:Suppl. II (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.Combined Modality Cancer Treatment. Radiation Sensitiser and Protectors Meeting. Key Biscayne, Florida. Oct. 3rd–6th, 1979. Cancer Clinical Trials 3: in press (1980).Google Scholar
- 3.C. R. Wiltshire, P. Workman, J. V. Watson and N. M. Bleehen, Clinical Studies with Misonidazole. Br.J.Cancer 37:Suppl.III, Br.J.Cancer 37:Suppl.III, 286 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.N. M. Bleehen, The Cambridge Glioma Trial of Misonidazole and Radiation Therapy with Associated Pharmacokinetic Studies. Cancer Clinical Trials 3:in press (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.G. E. Adams, I. R. Flockhart, C. E. Smithen, I. J. Stratford, P. Wardman and M. E. Watts, Electron affinie Sensitisation, VII: A correlation between structures, one-electron reduction potential and efficiencies of nitroimidazoles as hypoxic cell radiosensitisers. Radiat. Res. 67:9 (1976).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Workman, C. J. Little, T. R. Marten, A. D. Dale, R. J. Ruane, I. R. Flockhart and N. M. Bleehen, Estimation of the Hypoxic Cell Sensitiser Misonidazole and its 0-demethylated metabolite in biological materials by reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography. J, Chromatoff. 145: 507 (1978).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.A. J. Van der Kogel, Late Effects of Radiation on the Spinal Cord. Dose effect relationships and pathogenesis. T.N.0., Rijswijk, Holland (1979).Google Scholar
- 20.J. Denekamp, N. J. McNally and J.F. Fowler, Misonidazole in Fractionated Radiotherapy: Little and often? Br.J.Radiol.: in press.Google Scholar
- 24.M. I. S. Saunders, S. Dische, P. Anderson and I. R. Flockhart, The Neurotoxicity of Misonidazole and its relationship to dose, half-life and concentration in serum. Br.J.Cancer 37 (Suppl.III): 268 (1978).Google Scholar