Strategies for Cloning in Bacillus Subtilis
In the past few years we have been involved in attempts to generate a versatile cloning system for Bacillus subtilis. We have had many failures and a few successes. It is our hope that the successful strategies will be applicable to a wide variety of microorganisms.
KeywordsBacillus Subtilis Chloramphenicol Resistance Temperate Bacteriophage Partial Methylation EcoRI Digestion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ferrari, E., D.J. Henner and J.A. Hoch. Isolation of Bacillus subtilis genes from a Charon 4A library. J. Bacteriol. 146: 430–432 (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.Gryczan, T. and D. Dubnau. Construction and properties of chimeric plasmids in Bacillus subtilis. Proc. Natl. Acad.Google Scholar
- 8.Haldenwang, W.G., C.D.B. Banner, J.F. Ollington, R. Losick, J.A. Hoch, M.B. O’Connor and A.L. Sonenshein. Mapping a cloned gene under sporulation control by insertion of a drug resistance marker into the Bacillus subtilis chromosome. J. Bacteriol. 142: 90–98 (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.Henner, D.J. and J.A. Hoch. The Bacillus subtilis chromosome. Microbiol. Rev. 44: 57–82 (1980).Google Scholar
- 12.Wilson, R.E., J.A. Hoch and K. Bott. Genetic mapping of a linked cluster of ribosomal RNA genes in Bacillus subtilis. J. Bacteriol. in press.Google Scholar