An Automated Multidetector System for Instrumental Neutron Activation Analysis of Geological and Environmental Materials
An automated multidetector system for instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA) of geological and environmental materials was constructed. The system was evaluated using NBS SRM’s 1632a Coal and 1633a Coal Fly Ash. Data are presented to show the precision, accuracy, and stability of the system over a 3-month period. As a result of the evaluation, elemental concentrations for Dy, La, Eu, Tb, Yb, Lu, and Ta, which have not been reported in the literature, were determined.
KeywordsInstrumental Neutron Activation Analysis Neutron Detector Alamos Scientific Laboratory Spex Industry National Uranium Resource Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. A. Uriano, “Certificate of Analysis, SRM 1633a Trace Elements in Coal Fly Ash,” NBS, National Bureau of Standards (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Paul Cali, “Certificate of Analysis, SRM 1632a Trace Elements in Caol ( Bituminous),” NBS, National Bureau of Standards (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.E. S. Gladney, “Elemental Concentrations in NBS Biological and Environmental Standard Reference Materials-A Review,” LASL, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, LA-UR 79 - 3158 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.E. S. Gladney, D. B. Curtis, D. R. Perrin, J. W. Owens and W. E. Goode, “Nuclear Techniques for the Chemical Analysis of Environmental Materials,” LASL, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, LA-8192-MS (1980).Google Scholar
- 7.M. M. Minor, W. K. Hensley, S. L. Stein, M. M. Denton, R. G. Martinez, J. W. Starner and M. E. Bunker, “An Automated Activation Analysis System for Trace Elements Assay of Stream Sediment Samples,” LASL, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, to be published.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Gunnick, J. B. Niday, “Computerized Quantitative Analysis by Gamma-Ray Spectrometry,” Description of the GAMANAL Program, Vol. 1 (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.RAYGUN, a derivative of GAMANAL, has been extensively modified by J. W. Starner of Los Alamos for use in the NURE Program.Google Scholar