On-Line Nuclear Analysis of Coal and its Uses
On-Line Nuclear Analysis of Coal based on prompt neutron activation represents a technological breakthrough for real-time process control necessary for optimum efficiency in the use of coal. These analyzers are presently being installed to solve a variety of current problems in coal usage. This paper describes the general features of these instruments and gives a detailed discussion of a high counting rate spectroscopy system used with an analyzer based on a germanium detector. A brief discussion of various applications of these analyzers include control of coal blending, control of coal burning efficiency, and quality control in coal beneficiation and synfuel processes.
KeywordsGermanium Detector Electric Power Research Institute High Counting Rate Prompt Neutron Coal Blending
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. F. Stewart, “Nuclear Measurements of Carbon Bulk Materials”, ISA Transactions, Volume 6, Number 3, pp. 200–208, (1967).Google Scholar
- 2.T. Gozani, G. Reynolds, E. Elias, T. Maung, H. Bozorgmanesh, and V. Orphan, “Coal Stream Composition Analysis for Process Control Using Prompt Neutron Activation Analysis”, 1977 Symposium on Instrumentation and Control for Fossile Demonstration Plants, Chicago ANL-78-7, July 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.T. Gozani, “The Development of Continuous Nuclear Analysis of Coal — A Review”, ANS Trans., 2–8, 1978, 97.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Gozani, H. Bozorgmanesh, D. Brown, E. Elias, T. Maung, and G. Reynolds, “Coal Elemental Analysis by Prompt Neutron Activation Analysis”, ANS Trans., 28, 1978, 88.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Elias, T. Gozani, V. Orphan, J. Reed, and D. Shreeve, “Prompt Neutron Activation Analysis — Applications to Coal Analysis”, ANS Trans. 26, 1977, 160.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Gozani, et. al., “Nuclear Assay of Coal”, Volumes 1 through 8, EPRI Report FP989. RP983-1, January 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.D. R. Brown, etal., “Moisture Determination in Coals Survey of Techniques”, The 1978 Symposium in Instrumentation and Control for Fossil Demonstration Plants, ANL-78-62, pp. 514–539 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Nir-El, B. Director, T. Gozani, E. Elias, D. R. Brown, and H. Bozorgmanesh, “Development and Calibration of Standards for PNAA Assay of Coal”, paper given at ANS meeting on Atomic and Nuclear Methods in Fossile Energy Research, December 1–4, 1980, in Mayaquez, Puerto Rico.Google Scholar
- 9.O. J. Tassicker, T. Gozani, and R. Buckler, “Control of Coal Blending by On-Line Nuclear Analyzer of Coal”.Google Scholar