Conflict and Psychological Development: Women in the Family
Almost all family therapists have developed a concept that suggests that the family is “stuck” in one way or another. Most of their ideas revolve around the inability of families to move beyond a “pathological homeostasis,”1 to disrupt a family myth,2 to overcome a repetitive “double-bind” communication system,3 to break out of a “pseudomutuality,”4 to relinquish the recycling of ”shared fantasies and projective identifications,”5 and the like.
KeywordsPsychological Development Woman Patient Differential Factor Total Society Social Congruence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jackson DD, Watzlawick P: The acute psychosis as a manifestation of growth experience, American Medical Association Psychiatric Research Reports 26: 83–94, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.Wynne L, et al: Pseudo-mutuality in the family relations of schizophrenics, Psychiatry 21: 20–220, 1958.Google Scholar
- 5.Pincus L: Marriage: Studies in Emotional conflict and growth. London, Tavistock Publications, 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.U.S. Bureau Labor Statistics: News release, March 8, 1977.Google Scholar
- 7.Miller JB, Notman M, Nadelson C, et al: Aggression in women: A reexamination. In Changing concepts in psychoanalysis. Edited by Klebanow S. New York, Gardner Press, 1979. (See also Nadelson C, Notman M, Zilbach J, and Miller JB, this volume.).Google Scholar
- 8.Mahler M: On human symbiosis and the vicissitudes of individuation, Vol 1. New York, International Universities Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Rich A: Of woman born: Motherhood as experience and institution. New York, W. W. Norton, 1976.Google Scholar
- 11.Miller JB: Toward a new psychology of women Boston, Beacon Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Seiden AM: The sense of mastery in the childbirth experience. In The woman patient, Vol. 1. Edited by Notman M, Nadelson C. New York, Plenum Press, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.Turner MF, Izzi MH: The COPE story: A service to pregnant and postpartum women. In The woman patient, Vol. 1. Edited by Notman M, Nadelson C. New York, Plenum Press, 1978.Google Scholar