Current Views on Boundary Lipids Deduced from Electron Spin Resonance Studies
In 1973 Jost and co-workers showed that a spin-labeled fatty acid, with the nitroxide ring near the ω-2 acyl terminal (spin label I), gives rise to a composite spectrum when incorporated into vesicles made with cytochrome oxidase and various amounts of phospholipids. In order to detect the broad component corresponding to strongly immobilized probes, it was necessary to prepare vesicles with a low lipid-to-protein ratio. The immobilized component sensitive to the presence of proteins was attributed to spin labels located at the boundary of cytochrome oxidase. A tentative determination of the amount of “rigid” lipids led to the proposal that one layer of immobilized lipids surrounds each protein. This experiment was later repeated with spin-labeled phospholipids (spin label II) (Jost et al., 1977). Other investigators have reproduced this experiment using cytochrome oxidase (Knowles et al., 1979; Denes and Stanacev, 1978) or other intrinsic proteins such as rhodopsin (Pontus and Delmelle, 1975), Ca2+-ATPase (Hesketh et al., 1976), and lipophilin (Boggs et al., 1976).
KeywordsCytochrome Oxidase Spin Label Composite Spectrum Broad Component Narrow Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen, J. P., Bienvenüe, A., Devaux, P. F., Fellmann P., Le Maire, M., Ohnishi, S. I., Sakaki, T., and Tsuji, A. (1980). 9th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems ( Bendor ), Abstract 126.Google Scholar
- Bienvenüe, A., Hervé, P., and Devaux, P. F. (1978). C. R. Acad. Sci. 287, 1247–1250.Google Scholar
- Davoust, J., and Devaux, P. F. (1980). 9th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems ( Bendor ), Abstract 133.Google Scholar
- Devaux, P. F., Scandella, C. J., and Mc Connell, H. M. (1973). J. Magn. Reson. 9, 474–485.Google Scholar
- Knowles, P. F., Marsh, D., and Watts, A. (1980). 9th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems ( Bendor ), Abstract 132.Google Scholar
- Metcalfe, J. C., and Warren, G. B. (1977). International Cell Biology 1976–77 (Brinkley and K. Porter, eds.), pp. 15–23, Rockefeller University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Swanson, M. S., Thomas, D. D., and Quintanilha, A. T. (1980). J. Biol. Chem. 225, 7494–7502.Google Scholar
- Watts, A., Volstovski, I., and Marsh, D. (1980). 9th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance in Biological Systems ( Bendor ), Abstract 130.Google Scholar