Recent Development in Photon Correlation and Spectrum Analysis Techniques: II. Information from Photodetection Spectroscopy
The extraction of information from the measured correlation function or power spectrum is considered. Of particular importance in this context is the selection of an appropriate model for the physical process involved. We shall discuss the information-content limit on the model complexity and the extent to which any model can be justified. In this context a discussion of experimental artifacts which distort the expected data and can thus invalidate the model will be given. Having chosen some model the accuracy with which the parameters of that model can be established from measurements will be discussed with particular reference to Gaussian-Lorentzian light. We conclude with a set of guidelines to govern the choice of experimental parameters in photodetection spectroscopy experiments.
KeywordsCorrelation Function Count Rate Autocorrelation Function Local Oscillator Intensity Fluctuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedek, G. B., Polarisation, Matière et Rayonnment, (Paris: Presses Universitaries de France, 1968).Google Scholar
- Bertolotti, M., Photon Correlation Spectroscopy and Velocimetry, edited by H. Z. Cummins, and E. R. Pike (New York: Plenum, 1977). p. 22.Google Scholar
- Cummins, H. Z., and H. L. Swinney, Progress in Optics, edited by E. Wolf, (Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1970). Vol. 8.Google Scholar
- Haus, H. A., Proc. Int. School of Physics ‘Enrico Fermi’, (Course 42), (New York: Academic Press, 1969). p. 111.Google Scholar
- Jakeman, E., J. Phys. A-5: 249 (1972).Google Scholar
- Jakeman, E., in Photon-Correlation and Light-Beating Spectroscopy, edited by H. Z. Cummins, and E. R. Pike (New York: Plenum, 1974). p. 75.Google Scholar
- Jakeman, E., E. R. Pike, and S. Swain, J. Phys. A-3: 255 (1970).Google Scholar
- Kelly, H. C., J. Quant. Electron (IEEE) 7: 180 (1971).Google Scholar
- Oliver, C. J., in Photon-Correlation and Light-Beating Spectroscopy, edited by H. Z. Cummins and E. R. Pike (New York: Plenum, 1974). p. 151.Google Scholar
- Paul, G. L., and Pusey, P. N., 1980, to be published.Google Scholar
- Pike, E. R., in Scattering Techniques Applied to Supra-Molecular and Non-Equilibrium Systems, (1980) NATO Advanced Study Institute, Wellesley, USA.Google Scholar
- Siegert, A. J. E., MIT Rad. Lab. Report No. 465 (1943).Google Scholar