Coupling of Nuclear Morphometry to Cell Geometry. Its Role in the Control of Normal and Abnormal Cell Growth
Recent work has related nuclear DNA morphometry to cell function during the cycle of synchronized mammalian cells (1) (see also chapter by Nicolini and Belmont) during the G0–G1 transition of confluent human diploid fibroblasts stimulated to proliferate (2), as well as during virus transformation (3) and aging (4). However, those studies did not yet establish a causal relation. It is still unclear whether a change in the functional state in the cell results in altered nuclear morphology or whether an altered nuclear morphometry results in an altered functional state (and it is a requirement for the initiation of this altered functional state). At the same time cell geometry appears causally correlated with cell proliferation in normal cells but not in transformed cells (5). We have therefore recently explored the nuclear DNA morphometry changes with respect to cell geometry during various functional states to establish the role of their coupling (or uncoupling) in this control of normal and abnormal cell growth.
KeywordsForm Factor Cell Biophysics Integrate Optical Density Average Optical Density Cell Geometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C. Nicolini, F. Kendall, W. Giarretti and C. Desaive, Experimental Cell Res., 106: 118–125 (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Parodi, S. Lessin, F. Beltrame, and C. Nicolini, Cell Biophysics, Vol. 1 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Kendall, F. Beltrame and C. Nicolini, in: “Chromatin Structure and Function”, Part A. Editor, C. Nicolini, Plenum Publishing Co., New York-London, pp. 265–292 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Belmont and C. Nicolini, Cell Biophysics, Vol. 2, No. 2, (1980).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Lessin, S. Abraham and C. Nicolini, Nature (1980).Google Scholar
- 14.C. Nicolini and F. Beltrame, P.N.A.S.-USA (1980).Google Scholar
- 15.J. Folkman and H. Greenspan, Biophysical Biochemia Acta 217: 211–236 (1975).Google Scholar
- 16.F. Kendall, F. Beltrame, S. Zietz, Ae Belmont and C. Nicolini Cell Biophysics, Vol. 2, No. 3 (1980).Google Scholar
- 25.C. Nicolini Cell Biophysics, Vol. 2, No. 3 (1980).Google Scholar
- 27.D. McClain and A. Edelman, P.N.A.S.-USA, 77: 27–48 (1980).Google Scholar