Sturcture-Function Relationships in Essential Regions for Plasmid Replication
The development of recombinant DNA techniques has made possible the isolation of segments of a plasmid DNA molecule that are essential for plasmid replication and stable maintenance in a bacterial host. The discovery of rapid methods for the determination of the nucleotide sequence of DNA fragments and the development of in vitro systems for plasmid DNA replication permit a detailed analysis of the structure-function relationships of these various DNA segments. Such an analysis has been carried out on the essential region for plasmid R6K DNA replication. In addition segments of the replication regions of Plasmids R6K and F that are involved in plasmid incompatibility have been isolated and analyzed. A striking feature of the essential region of replication of Plasmids R6K, F and the broad host range plasmid RK2 [also studied in our laboratory1–5] is the presence of direct repeats of nucleotide sequences. The important role of these direct repeats in both plasmid replication and incompatibility and the major structural features of the essential region for plasmid R6K replication will be considered in this article.
KeywordsDirect Repeat Origin Region Essential Region Plasmid Replication Hybrid Plasmid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Stalker, D.M., Thomas, C.M. and Helinski, D.R. (1981), Mol. Gen. Genet. 181 (in press).Google Scholar
- 4.Thomas, C.M., Stalker, D.M. and Helinski, D.R. (1981), Mol. Gen. Genet. 181 (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.Thomas, C.M. (1981), Plasmid (in press).Google Scholar
- 6.Kontomichalou, P., Mitani, M. and Clowes, R.C (1970), J. Bacteriol. 104, 33–44.Google Scholar
- 18.Stalker, D.M., Kolter, R. and Helinski, D.R. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 19.Kolter, R. and Helinski, D.R. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 20.Shafferman, A., Kolter, R., Stalker, D.M. and Helinski, D.R. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 23.Lovett, M.A. and Helinski, D.R. (1975), J. Bacteriol. 127, 982–987.Google Scholar
- 25.Tolun, A. and Helinski, D.R. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar