Chromesthetic Responses to the Music of G. F. Handel
This vivid account describes one of the most unusual forms of mental imagery, synesthesia. It is defined as “production, from a sense-impression of one kind, of an associated mental image of a sense-impression of another kind” (Synaesthesia, 1970, P. 373). Synesthesia can theoretically occur among any sense modalities. However, it does occur more frequently between some modalities than others. In this paper, we are concerned with chromesthesia or colored hearing, a particular form of synesthesia in which color images (photisms) are evoked by auditory stimuli.
KeywordsAuditory Stimulus Minor Mode Absolute Pitch Musical Composition Pitch Interval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Downes, E. The New York Philharmonic guide to the symphony. New York: Walker, 1976.Google Scholar
- Haendel, G. F. Twelve concerti grossi, opus 6 (2 vols.). New York: Edwin F. Kalmus, 1968. (Originally composed, 1739.)Google Scholar
- Jeans, J. Science & music. New York: Dover, 1968. (Originally published, 1937.)Google Scholar
- Karwoski, T. F., and Odbert, H. S. Color-music. Psychological Monographs, 1938, 50 (2, whole No. 222).Google Scholar
- Lundin, R. W. An objective psychology of music (2nd ed.). New York: Ronald, 1967.Google Scholar
- Luria, A. R. The mind of a mnemonist. New York: Basic Books, 1968.Google Scholar
- Machlis, J. The enjoyment of music (rev. ed.). New York: Norton, 1963.Google Scholar
- Meyer, L. B. Emotion and meaning in music. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1956.Google Scholar
- Myers, J. L. Fundamentals of experimental design (2nd ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1972.Google Scholar
- Osgood, C. E., Suci, G. J., and Tannenbaum, P. H. The measurement of meaning. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1957.Google Scholar
- Radocy, R. E., and Boyle, J. D. Psychological foundations of musical behavior. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas, 1979.Google Scholar
- Synaesthesia. The Oxford english dictionary (Vol. X). Oxford: Clarendon, 1970.Google Scholar