Protective Mechanisms of the Respiratory Tract
To say that the respiratory tract has protective mechanisms implies that there are hazards against which it needs protection. This paper will start by outlining the principal threats to the lung from the environment and go on to describe the mechanisms for the defence of the airways.
KeywordsAlveolar Macrophage Ciliated Cell Mucus Secretion Airway Wall Clara Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allison, A.C., 1977, Mechanisms of macrophage damage in relation to pathogenesis of some lung diseases, in.: “Respiratory Defense Mechanisms, Part II”, ed. Brain, Proctor, Reid. Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Clarke, S.W., 1973, The role of two-phase flow in bronchial clearance, Bull. Physio-pathol. Resp. 9:359–376.Google Scholar
- Cumming, G., 1980.Google Scholar
- Gallagher, J.T., Hall, R.L., Jeffery, P.K., Phipps, R.J. and Richardson, P.S., 1978, The nature and origin of tracheal secretions released in response to pilocarpine and ammonia, J. Physiol, 275:36–37P.Google Scholar
- Hall, R.L., Peatfield, A.C. and Richardson, P.S., 1978, The effect of serum on mucus secretion in the trachea of the cat. J. Physiol, 282:47–48P.Google Scholar
- Hounam, R.F. and Morgan, A., 1977, Particle deposition in: Respiratory Defense Mechanisms, Part I, pp 125–156, ed., Brain, Proctor, Reid. Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Leith, P.E., 1968, Cough, J. Am. Phys. Ther. Assoc., 48: 439–447.Google Scholar
- Negus, V.E., 1949,“The comparative anatomy and physiology of the larynx,” Hafner, New York.Google Scholar
- Proctor, P.F. and Swift, P.L., 1977, Temperature and water vapour adjustment, in: “Respiratory Pefense Mechanisms, Part I” pp 95–124. ed., Brain, Proctor, Reid. Marcel Pekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Richardson, P.S., Phipps, R.J., Balfre, K. and Hall, R.L., 1978, The roles of mediators, irritants and allergens in causing mucin secretion from the trachea. Ciba Symposium 54 (new series), Respiratory Tract Mucus, 111–126, Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Thurlbeck, W.M., 1977, Structure of the lungs, in: “International Review of Physiology, Vol.14, ppl–36, ed., Widdicombe, J.G., University Park Press, Baltimore.Google Scholar