Some Aspects of the Interpretation of Gravity Data for the Study of Regional and Local Structures
During last years a tremendous improvement has been made in all the fields of geophysical prospecting. While other geophysical techniques have strongly gained efficiency also by the advent of a new generation of equipments and of field techniques, in the gravity prospecting field, this improvement has only been caused by the advent of computers which are more and more used in all the phases of treatment of data, i.e. data reduction, data analysis, data interpretation. Basic concepts in gravity prospecting techniques and instrumentation have in fact practically remained inaltered. The precision and the detailing that have been gained in gravity data interpretation have enormously increased the benefit to cost ratio for this methodology in respect to other geophysical techniques.
KeywordsGravity Field Gravity Anomaly Gravity Data Gravity Effect Bouguer Anomaly
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Chalabi, 1970, Interpretation of two-dimensional magnetic profiles by non-linear optimisation, Boll. Geof. Teor. Appl., 12, 45–46:3-20.Google Scholar
- Bath, M., 1974, Spectral analysis in geophysics. Elsevier, 563.Google Scholar
- Bozzi Zadro, M., and Caputo, M., 1968, Filtri multidimensionali e loro applicazioni geofisiche, Ann. Geof., 3:317–336.Google Scholar
- Corrado, G., and Rapolla, A., 1979, The gravity field of Italy: analysis of its spectral components and definition of a tridimensional crustal model for central-southern Italy, Geodyn. Sp. Project, Publ. n. 308.Google Scholar
- Grant, F.S., and West, G.S., 1965, Interpretation theory in applied geophysics, McGraw-Hill Inc., 584.Google Scholar
- Morelli, C., 1968, “Gravimetria,” Del Bianco Ed., Udine, pp.575.Google Scholar
- Pinna, E., and Rapolla, A., 1978, Strutture crostali nell’Italia meridionale da dati gravimetrici, in: “Contributi preliminari alla sorveglianza e rischio vulcanico (Etna-Eolie)”, G. Luongo, ed., Geodynamic Special Project, CNR, Publ. n.235, Naples.Google Scholar
- Sazhine, N., and Grushinsky, N., 1971, Gravity prospecting, MIR publ., Moscow, pp.491 (trans, from Russian by A.K. Chatterejee).Google Scholar