Recurrent Divergent and Mass Selections in Maize with Physiological and Biochemical Traits: Preliminary and Projected Application
This manuscript was prepared for presentation at a workshop. We have intentionally included controversial and speculative points with the hope that this would stimulate discussion. Our goal has been and is to identify physiological or biochemical traits that will be useful in the selection of superior cultivars.
KeywordsNitrate Reductase Nitrate Reductase Activity Nitrate Uptake Nitrate Content Mass Selection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dunand, R. T., 1980, Divergent phenotypic recurrent selection for nitrate reductase activity and correlated responses in maize, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.Google Scholar
- Duvick, D. V., 1977, Genetic rates of gain in hybrid maize yields during the past 40 years, Maydica, 22:187.Google Scholar
- Evans, L. T., Wardlow, I. F., and Fischer, R. A., 1975, Wheat, in: “Crop Physiology,” L. T. Evans, ed., Cambridge University Press, London.Google Scholar
- Hageman, R. H., 1979, Integration of nitrogen assimilation in relation ot yield, in: “Nitrogen Assimilation of Plants,” E. J. Hewitt and C. V. Cutting, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hewitt, E. J., Hucklesby, D. P., and Notton, B. A., 1976, Nitrate metabolism, in: “Plant Biochemistry,” J. Bonner and J. E. Varner, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Miller, B. L., and Huffaker, R. C., 1979, Changes in endopeptidases, protein and chlorophyll in senescing barley leaves, Agron. Abstracts.Google Scholar
- Polisetty, R., 1977, Characteristics of nitrate uptake from nutrient solution and root nitrate reductase activity among corn genotypes, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Illinois, Urbana-Chamgaign.Google Scholar
- Reed, A. J., and Hageman, R. H., 1980a, The relationship between nitrate uptake, flux and reduction and the accumulation of reduced N in maize (Zea mays L.). I. Genotypic variation, Plant Physiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Reed, A. J., and Hageman, R. H., 1980b, The relationship between nitrate uptake, flux and reduction and the accumulation of reduced N in maize (Zea mays L.). II. The effect of nutrient nitrate concentration, Plant Physiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Welch, L. F., 1979, Nitrogen use and behavior in crop production, Bull., 761, Agric. Expt. Station, College of Agric., Urbana, IL.Google Scholar