Physiological Interactions Between Alaska Peas and Strains of Rhizobium Leguminosarum that Differ in Plasmid-Linked Genes
Recent advances in Rhizobium genetics have led to increased optimism regarding the possibility of enhancing symbiotic N2 fixation by generating superior strains of Rhizobium that combine the best attributes from different parental strains. The procedures for developing such strains involve the identification of desired traits, the genetic marking and mapping of such traits, and the transfer of the traits with their markers to another strain which already has desirable traits of a different nature. Since at least some of the genetic information that codes for both root infectivity and nodule effectiveness appears to be located on Plasmids in Rhizobium species (Higashi, 1967; Duncan et al., 1967; Nuti et al., 1979; Johnston et al., 1978; Brewin et al., dy1980a,b;) it may be possible to develop “superior” Rhizobium strains by plasmid transfers between strains.
KeywordsField Isolate Rhizobium Strain Bacteriocin Production Rhizobium Leguminosarum Plasmid Transfer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brewin, N. J., Beringer, J. E., Buchanan-Wollaston, A. F., Johnston, A. W. B., and Hirsch, P. R., 1980a, Transfer of symbiotic genes with bacteriocinogenic plasmids of Rhizobium leguminosarum, J. Gen. Microbiol., 116:261.Google Scholar
- Brewin, N. J., Beringer, J. E., and Johnston, A. W. B., 1980b, Plasmid-mediated transfer of host range specificity between two strains of Rhizobium leguminosarum, J. Gen. Microbiol., in press.Google Scholar
- Burris, R. H., and Wilson, P. W., 1957, Methods for measurement of nitrogen fixation, in: “Methods in Enzymology,” S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan, eds., Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Dunican, L. K., O’Gara, F., and Tierney, A. B., 1976, Plasmid control of effectiveness in Rhizobium: transfer of nitrogen-fixing genes on a plasmid from Rhizobium trifolii to Klebsiella aerogenes, in: “Symbiotic Nitrogen Fixation in Plants,” P. S. Nutman, ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, P. R., 1979, Plasmid-determined bacteriocin production by Rhizobium leguminosarum, J. Gen. Microbiol., 113:219.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, P. R., Johnston, A. W. B., Brewin, N. J., Van Montagu, M., and Schell, J., 1980, Physical identification of bacterio-cinogenic, nodulation and other plasmids in strains of Rhizobium leguminosarum, J. Gen. Microbiol., in press.Google Scholar