Grain Boundaries in Carbon- and Boron-Densified SiC: Examination by High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy
Grain boundaries in G.E. (sintered and hot-pressed) SiC were investigated by light-optical and transmission electron microscopy for possible glassy films indicative of liquid-phase densification, which has been proposed to account for the beneficial roles of boron and carbon. The high-resolution TEM techniques employed are capable of revealing the thinnest grain boundary phases. None was found in the G.E. materials, and the possibility of liquid phase sintering must be discounted.
KeywordsHigh Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy Boundary Phase Triple Point Boundary Film Objective Aperture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Prochazka, Sintering of Silicon Carbide, pp. 239-251 in: “Proceedings of the Second Army Materials Technology Conference,” Hyannis, MA, (Nov. 13–16, 1973).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Prochazka and R. M. Scanlan, The Effect of Boron and Carbon on Sintering of SiC, G.E. Tech. Info. Series, #74CRD226, (Sept., 1974).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Prochazka, The Role of Boron and Carbon in the Sintering of Silicon Carbide, G.E. Tech. Info. Series, #74CRD186, (Aug., 1974).Google Scholar
- 5.L. U. Ogbuji, A. H. Heuer and T. E. Mitchell, unpublished work, (Case Western Reserve University).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Prochazka, private communication.Google Scholar
- 7.R. von Kieffer, E. Gugel, G. Leimer and P. E. Honayer, Unter-Suchungen im System Bor-Kohlenstoff-Silicium (Investigation of the System Boron-Carbon-Silicon), Ber Dtsch. Keram. Ges., 49:41, (1972).Google Scholar
- 10.K. H. Jack, The Fabrication of Dense Nitrogen Ceramics, in: “Proceedings of Crystalline Ceramics,” H. Palmour III, R. F. Davis and T. M. Hare, eds., Plenum, New York, NY, (1978).Google Scholar
- 12.R. A. Giddings, C. A. Johnson, S. Prochazka and R. J. Charles, Fabrication and Properties of Sintered Silicon Carbide, G.E. Tech. Info. Series, #75CRD060, (April, 1975).Google Scholar
- 14.R. Gronsky, O. L. Krivanek and G. Thomas, Very High Resolution of Alloys and Ceramics, pp. 396-397 in “(Proc.) 37th Annual EMSA Meeting,” San Antonio, Texas, (Aug. 13–17, 1979).Google Scholar
- 15.L. U. Ogbuji, High Resolution TEM Investigation of Grain Boundaries in Sintered SiC, ibid., 532.Google Scholar