The Interaction of Molten Silicon with Silicon Metal Oxynitride Solid Solutions
Considerable attention is being given to developing better methods of processing solar cells. These methods generally fall into one of two categories: (1) slicing and wafering of Czochralski boules and (2) ribbon growth methods.1–3. In all of these processes, refractory materials are needed as crucibles to hold the molten silicon, and some of the ribbon processes also require a ceramic shaping die to form the silicon sheet.
KeywordsSilicon Aluminum Beryllium Oxide Molten Silicon Silicon Monoxide Silicon Sheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. O’Donnell, M. Leipold, and M. Hagen, “Low Cost Silicon Array Project”, Tech. Report No. DOE/JPL 1012-77/6, 1978.Google Scholar
- 4.K. H. Jack, “Nitrogen Ceramics”, Trans. J. Brit. Ceram. Soc, 72,(8), 376–384, 1973.Google Scholar
- 5.R. R. Wills and I. Sekercioglu, “Dissolution of Aluminum and Beryllium in Molten Silicon From β’Si3N4 Solid Solutions”, submitted to J. Am. Cerairl. Soc. for publicationGoogle Scholar
- 7.M. T. Duffy, S. Berkman, H. I. Ross and G. W. Cullen, Low Cost Silicon Army Project DOE/JPL Report 954901-78/5, December, 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.T. N. Zabruskova, I. Ya. Guzman, I. A. Dmitriev, “Stability of Silicon Oxynitride at High Temperatures”, Russian Refractories, 1–2, 118–121, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.R. B. Sosman, “New and Old Phases of Silica”, Brito Ceramic Soc. Trans., 54, 655, 1955.Google Scholar
- 12.A. S. Berezhnoi, “Silicon and Its Binary Systems”, translated from Russian Consultants Bureau, New York, 1960.Google Scholar
- 13.R. R. Wills, I. Sekercioglu, J. S. Ogden, C. A. Alexander, and D. E. Niesz, “Comparative Resistance of Si3N4 Solid Solutions to Molten Silicon Attack”, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc., 58,(12), 1198, 1979.Google Scholar
- 14.J. A. Palm and C. D. Greskovich, “Thermomechanical Properties of Si2.9 Be0.1 N3.8 O0.2 Ceramic”, Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc, 59(4), 547–452, 1980.Google Scholar
- 16.R. R. Wills, I. Sekercioglu, and D. E. Niesz, “The Interaction of Molten Silicon With Silicon Aluminum Oxynitrides”, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., to be published.Google Scholar