Influence of Grain Boundary Silica Impurity on Alumina Toughness
In a series of previous reports the effect of silica impurity on aggregation state and on electrophoretic, pressing, filtering and sintering behavior on alumina powders has been studied. The results obtained showed that the silica surface impurity plays an important role in the ceramic processing of powders by (a) decreasing pH values of the isoelectric point (i. e. p.), which affects the aggregation state of the powder, and (b) decreasing the compactability and the activation energy for the initial stage of sintering.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Aggregation State Alumina Powder Boundary Groove Untreated Alumina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. A. Pask, Bull. Am. Ceram. Soc, 58:1163 (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.J. S. Moya, J. Rubio and J. A. Pask, Bull. Am. Ceram. Soc, in press.Google Scholar
- 3.J. S. Moya and J. A. Pask. To be published in the Proc. of the 9th International Symposium of the Reactivity of Solids, Cracow, Poland, 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.P. L. Fulraan, Trans. AIME, 197:447 (1953).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Claussen, R. Pabst and C. P. Lahmann, Proc. Brit. Ceram. Soc. 24:139 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7.B. J. Dalgleish, P. L. Pratt and J. Sandford, Science of Ceramics, Vol. 8:225 (1976).Google Scholar