Observations on Grain Boundary Structures in Nickel Oxide
The relaxation of the long-range strain field near grain boundaries by the formation of structural dislocations has been extensively studied in metals.1 The structure of the grain boundary dislocation arrays has been shown to be determined by the misfit geometry as well as the interfacal energy of the grain boundary. Very little data, however, are available for the grain boundary structures in ionic crystals, in which the interatomic interaction is different from that in metals.
KeywordsBurger Vector Nickel Oxide Screw Dislocation Boundary Plane Misfit Dislocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Review papers in: “Grain Boundary Structure and Properties”, G. A. Chadwick and D. A. Smith, ed., Academic Press, New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.F. C. Frank, Hexagonal Networks of Dislocations, Proc. Phys. Soc. on “Defects in Crystalline Solids”, 159 (1955).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Suzuki and H. Suzuki, Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ. A6, 573 (1954).Google Scholar
- 5.W. T. Read, “Dislocations in Crystals”, McGraw-Hill, New York (1953).Google Scholar
- 7.R. W. Balluffi, P. D. Bristowe and C. P. Sun, Structure of High Angle Grain Boundaries in Metals and Ceramic Oxides, Paper presented at the Basic Science and Nuclear Division Fall Meeting of the Amer. Ceram. Soc, New Orleans, LA, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Wolf, On the Energy of <100> Coincidence Twist Boundaries in Transition Metal Oxides, Proc. of the Inter’l. Conf. on “Defects in Ionic Crystals”, Canterbury, U.K. (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.D. Wolf and R. Benedek, Energy of <100> Coincidence Twist Boundaries in Oxides with NaCl Structure, Inter’l. Symp. on “Grain Boundary Phenomena in Electronic Ceramics”, Chicago, IL (1980); to be published in the J. of Amer. Cer. Soc.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Bollmann, “Crystal Defects and Crystalline Interfaces”, Springer-Verlag, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.H. Schmid, N. L. Peterson and M. Ruble, TEM Studies on the Structure of Small-Angle Grain Boundaries in NiO, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 59(3), 359 (1980).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Wolf, Energies of <110> Coincidence Twist Boundaries, Stacking Faults, and Free Surfaces in Metal Oxides with NaCl Structure, paper presented in this Meeting.Google Scholar