Nonlinear Image Reconstruction from Ultrasonic Time-of-Flight Projections
This paper is concerned with reconstructive ultrasound tomography. More specifically, it deals with that variation of reconstructive ultrasound tomography which is based on time-of-flight projections and produces images which represent the acoustic refractive index. The method has been studied since a while; see Mueller et al. (1979) for a review. The main application envisaged is breast imaging, but still the images obtained with this method do not show the details required for a medical application. We shall expound that this is mainly due to shortcomings in the mathematical model employed. Then we derive a more appropriate model and a pertinent reconstruction algorithm. The efficiency of both is demonstrated using real data obtained with a phantom. We start with a short description of the underlying experiment.
KeywordsModel Error Discrete Version Conventional Model True Image Nonlinear Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Glover, G. H., Sharp, J. C., 1977, Reconstruction of Ultrasound Propagation Speed Distributions in Soft Tissue: Time-of-Flight Tomography, IEEE Trans. Sonics & Ultrason. SU-24, 229–234.Google Scholar
- Jakowatz, C. V., Kak, A. C., 1976, Computerized Tomographic Imaging Using X-Rays and Ultrasound, School of Electrical Engineering, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, Indiana, Technical Report TR-EE 76–26.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S. A., Greenleaf, J. F., Tanaka, M., Flandro, G., 1977, Reconstructing Three-Dimensional Temperature and Fluid Velocity Vector Fields from Acoustic Transmission Measurements, ISA Transactions 16, 3–15.Google Scholar
- Lavrientiev, Romanov, Vasiliev, 1970, ‘Multidimensional Inverse Problems for Differential Equations’, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- Meyn, K. H., 1980, A Generalization of a Theorem of Ostrowski and its Application to a Nonlinear Extension of the Method of Kaczmarz, to be published.Google Scholar
- Muhometov, R. G., 1977, The Problem of Recovery of a Two-Dimensional Riemannian Metric and Integral Geometry, Soviet. Math. Dokl. 18, 27–31.Google Scholar
- Schomberg, H., 1980, “Nonlinear Image Reconstruction from Projections of Ultrasonic Travel Times and Electric Current Densities, in ”Mathematical Aspects of Computerized Tomography’, HermanGoogle Scholar
- G. T. and Natterer, F. eds., Springer, New York, to appear.Google Scholar