Role Played by Cellular Cohersion and Organization in the Interaction of Ultrasound with Soft Tissues
The absorption of soft tissues has so far been explained by relaxation phenomena on the macromolecular scale. That these phenomena are involved cannot be denied since this is proved by many experiments carried out on pure solutions of macromolecules. But these mechanisms do not justify the significant differences in attenuation measured in different tissues or the different pathological states of the same tissue.
KeywordsCatheter Attenuation Macromolecule Lution Dine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger G., Perrin J., 1979, Attenuation principles and measurements for Tissue characterization, in: “First E.E.C. Workshop on Tissue Characterization”.Google Scholar
- Foldy L.L., Multiple scattering of Waves: General theory of iso-tropic scattering by randomly distributed scatterers, 1945, Phys. Rev. 67. Google Scholar
- Fraser J., Kino G.S., and Birnholz J., 1977, Cepstral signal processing for tissue signature analysis, in “Second International Symposium on Ultrasonic Tissue Characterization” National Bureau of Standards. Gaithersburg, Md.Google Scholar
- Hill C. R.,Chivers R.C., Huggins R.W.,and Nicholas D., Scattering of US by human tissue, in:“Ultrasound: its applications in medecine and biology”, pp 441–482, F.J. Fry, ed.Google Scholar
- Hill C.R., 1976, Frequency and Angular dependance of ultrasonic scattering from tissue, in: “Ultrasonic Tissue Characterization” pp 197–206, NBS Publication 453.Google Scholar
- Kuk R., Schwartz M., and von Micsky L., Parametric estimation of the acoustic attenuation coefficient slope for soft tissues, IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Proc. 1976 - CH 1120, 5 SU, pp 44–47.Google Scholar
- Kuk R., Clinical application of an ultrasound attenuation coefficient estimation technique for liver pathology characterization, IEEE Transact. on Biomedical Engineering, 1980, Vol. B4E 27, n°6.Google Scholar
- Lele P. P.,Senapati N., and Murphy A., Ultrasonic frequency domain analysis and studies on acoustical scattering for diagnosis of tissue pathology, 1975, in: “28th. Conf. on Eng. in Medecine and Biology”Google Scholar
- Perrin J., Berger G., Salesses A., and Agneray M., Role played by coherent and incoherent diffusion in ultrasonic attenuation of biological tissues, 1979, in: “Ultrasonics International 79”, IPC Science and Technology Press Ltd., pp 518–523.Google Scholar
- Salesses A., Perrin J., Berger G., and Agneray A., in “Communication 5th European Anatomical Congress, Prague”, 1979.Google Scholar