Microwave Dispersive Bistability in a Confocal Fabry-Perot Microwave Cavity
The behaviour of a Fabry-Perot transmission cavity containing a two-level absorber is derived as a function of the incident power and of the resonantor and absorber parameters by taking into account the spatially averaged absorption coefficient of the gas. The state equation so obtained exhibits a bistable behaviour. The transmittance of a microwave cavity filled with ammonia gas and tuned at the frequency of the (3,3) inversion line of ammonia is investigated experimentally as a function of the frequency of the incident em wave and gas pressure. Good quantitative agreement is found between the theoretical description and the experimental results.
KeywordsTransmitted Power Incident Power Optical Bistability Average Absorption Coefficient Microwave Cavity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.P. W. Smith and E. H. Turner, Appl. Phys. Lett. 30, 280 (1977); P. W. Smith, I. P. Kaminov, P. J. Maloney and L. W. Stulz, Appl. Phys. Lett. 33, 24 (1978) and 34, 62 (1979); E. Garmire, S. D. Allen, J. Marburger and C. M. Verber, Opt. Lett. 3, 69 (1978); A. Feldman, Opt. Lett. 4., 115 (1979).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.W. J. Sandle and A. Gallagher, Digest of Technical Papers, XI IQEC, Boston 23-26 June 1980, IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-16, 656 (1980); R. J. Ballagh, J. Cooper, M. W. Hamilton, W. J. Sandle and D. M. Warrington, Phys. Rev. (in press); W. J. Sandle and A. Gallagher, Phys. Rev. (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Bonifacio and L. A. Lugiato, Lett. Nuovo Cimento 21, 517 (1978); R. Bonifacio, M. Gronchi and L. A. Lugiato, Nuovo Cimento 53B, 311 (1979); R. Bonifacio, L. A. Lugiato and M. Gronchi, in “Laser Spectroscopy IV” Proc. Int. Conf. at Rottach-Egern, Germany, Eds. H. Walther and K. W. Rothe (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1979) p. 426.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.H. J. Carmichael and J. A. Hermann, Zeits Phys. (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.G. Boudouris and P. Chenevier, Circuits pour ondes guidees (Dunod, Paris, 1975).Google Scholar
- 13.G. D. Boyd and J. P. Gordon, Bell Syst. Tech. Journ. 40, 489 (1961).Google Scholar
- 15.In the now standard definitions in the literature7−10 the state equation involves the normalized input transmitted powers, i. e., in our notation the quantities aY and aX.Google Scholar