The Effect of Microwaves on Tunnel Junctions
Interest in the effects of microwave radiation incident on tunnel junctions first arose nearly twenty years ago in the early 1960’s. Even though research, both theoretical and experimental, has been extensive in this area, it has not been exhaustive. Recent renewed interest has been motivated by theoretical predictions and experimental observations relating to redistribution of quasiparticles and their relationship to the “gap enhancement” phenomenon. In the present paper we will describe the effect of microwaves on tunnel junctions excluding specifically “gap enhancement,” which will be described in Chapter 7 by J. E. Mooij.
KeywordsMicrowave Power Tunnel Junction Tunneling Current Microwave Field Voltage Standing Wave Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, M. H., Falicov, L. M., and Phillips, J. C., 1962, Superconducting Tunnelling, Proc. Int. Conf., Low Temp. Phys., 8:178.Google Scholar
- Falco, C. M., and Lee, T. W., 1980, Josephson Effects in Ultra-Short Mean Free Path Superconductors, to be published.Google Scholar
- Hall, J. T., Holden, L. B., and Soulen, R. J., 1980, Photon-Assisted Quasiparticle Tunneling in the Region Intermediate between the Classical and Quantum Limits, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc., 25:411.Google Scholar
- Hall, J. T., Holden, L. B., and Soulen, R. J., 1980, Microwave Enhancement of Superconductivity in Aluminum Tunnel Junctions, to be published.Google Scholar
- Hamilton, C. A., and Shapiro, S., 1970, rf-Induced Effects in Superconducting Tunnel Junctions, Phys. Rev., B2:4494.Google Scholar
- Scalapino, D. J., 1969, The Electron-Phonon Interaction and Strong Coupling Superconductors, in: “Superconductivity,” R. D. Parks, ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, S., and Janus, A. R., 1963, R.F. Detection by Electron Tunnelling between Superconductors, Proc. Int. Conf., Low Temp. Phys., 8:321.Google Scholar
- Tulin, V. A., 1976, Some Data on Tunneling in the Presence of Microwave Photons, JETP-J. Low Temp. Phys., 2:741.Google Scholar