Toward a Definition of Mental Retardation
Historically, the ways in which the mentally retarded have been viewed and treated has often been a reflection of the dominant spirit of the times within a particular culture.1 But whether retarded individuals were ignored, ridiculed, incarcerated, cast out, or looked upon with beneficence, attempts to comprehend and define the phenomena of retardation were few and far between until fairly recent times.
KeywordsMental Retardation Retarded Child Conformity Model Formal Thought Operational Thought
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. Zigler, “Mental Retardation: Current Issues and Approaches,” in L. W. Hoffman and M. L. Hoffman, eds., Review of Child Development Research, vol. 2 (New York: Russell Sage Foundation, 1966)Google Scholar
- E. Zigler, “The Retarded Child as a Whole Person,” in D. K. Routh, ed., The Experimental Psychology of Mental Retardation (Chicago: Aldine, 1973)Google Scholar
- E. Zigler, “Research on Personality Structure in the Retardate,” in N. R. Ellis, ed., International Review of Research in Mental Retardation, vol. 1 (New York: Academic Press, 1966).Google Scholar
- J. Piaget, and B. Inhelder, The Psychology of the Child (New York: Basic Books 1969)Google Scholar
- J. Piaget, “Preface” in B. Inhelder, Diagnosis of Reasoning in the Mentally Retarded, 1st ed. (New York: John Day, 1968).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Woodward, “The Application of Piagefs Theory to Research in Mental Deficiency,” in N. R. Ellis, ed., Handbook of Mental Deficiency (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1963)Google Scholar
- K. Wilton and F. J. Boersman, “Conservation Research with the Mentally Retarded,” in N. R. Ellis, ed., International Review of Research in Mental Retardation vol. 7 (New York: Academic Press, 1974).Google Scholar
- 6.N. M. Robinson and H. B. Robinson, The Mentally Retarded Child: A Psychological Approach (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1976).Google Scholar
- 8.J. Mercer, Labeling the Mentally Retarded: Clinical and Social Perspectives on Mental Retardation (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1973).Google Scholar