Psychophysical and Neurophysiological Data on the Sound Source Perception
Directional hearing has been studied intensively for a long time. As yet, only a few papers have dealt with the characteristics of the sound movement perception. It was shown in free field investigations that the perceived minimal shift of the moving sound source amounted to 2–4 degrees (Harris and Sergeant, 1971). When the velocity of the sound source movement was from 60 to 360 degrees/s, the detection threshold for the sound source movement rose from 5 to 20 degrees/s (Perrot and Musicant, 1977) .
KeywordsSound Source Auditory Cortex Movement Perception Interaural Time Difference Body Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altman, J. A., 1975, Neurophysiological mechanisms of auditory localization, UCLA, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Altman, J. A. and Radionova, E. A., 1973, Responses of neurons from the auditory area of the cerebellar vermis to monaural and binaural stimulation, Bull. Exp. Biol. Med., 4: 11–15. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Altman, J. A., Rosenblum, A. S. and Lvova, V. G., 1979b, Perception of moving auditory images by patients with temporal lobe damages, Human Physiol., 5: 55–63. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Hécaen, H., 1969, Aphasic, apraxic and agnostic syndromes in right and left hemisphere lesions, in: “Handbook of Clin. Neurol.”, vol. 3–4, F. G. Finken and G. W. Brujn, eds., pp. 291–311, Elsevier, Amsterdam-N.-Y.Google Scholar
- Hubel, D. H. and Wiesel, T. N., 1959, Receptive fields of single neurons in the cat’s striate cortex, J. Physio1., 148: 574–591.Google Scholar
- Romanov, V. P., 1980, Scaling of the sound source movement perception in dichotic stimulation, Human Physiol., 6: 712–714.Google Scholar
- Sovijärvi, A. R. A., 1973, Single neuron responses to complex and moving sounds in the primary auditory cortex of the cat. Academic dissertation, University of Helsinki, Helsinki.Google Scholar
- Viskov, O. V., 1975, The perception of the fused auditory image movement, Human Physiol., 1: 371–376. (in Russian).Google Scholar