Stabilized Power Plant Scrubber Sludge and Fly Ash in the Marine Environment
Solid (stabilized), brick-like forms of scrubber sludge and fly ash from coal combustion were tested for their physical properties, leaching behavior in seawater, effect on organisms, and long term stability in a marine environment. Laboratory results showed that trace elements did not leach significantly from test samples. In the field, colonization and overgrowth of test blocks progressed very rapidly, and block integrity, as determined by compressive strength, was maintained for over 500 days.
These preliminary results and other results from ongoing studies suggest that marine disposal of scrubber sludge and fly ash, in the stabilized form, may be environmentally acceptable.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Concrete Block Coal Waste Thalassiosira Pseudonana Concrete Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Society of Testing and Materials (1974) Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Philadelphia, Pa.Google Scholar
- Beers, W. F. et al. (1974) (In: Helm et al., 1975). Soil as a medium for the renovation of acid mine drainage water. Presented at Fifth Symposium on Coal Mine Drainage Research. National Coal Association, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Environmental Protection Agency (1976) Proposed revision of ocean dumping regulation and criteria. Federal Register, June 28.Google Scholar
- Helm, R. B., G. B. Keefer and W. A. Sack (1975) Environmental aspects of compacted mixtures of fly ash and wastewater sludge. Presented at 48th Annual Conference of Water Pollution Control Federation, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Herlihy, J. (1977) Flue gas desulfurization in power plants. Status Report. (April 1977) Division of Stationary Source Enforcement, Office of Enforcement, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Hulsemann, J. (1966) On the routine analysis of carbonates in unconsolidated sediments. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 36, 622–625.Google Scholar
- Keeley, J. W. and R. M. Engler (1974) Discussion of regulatory criteria for ocean disposal of dredged materials: elutriate test rationale and implementation, March 1974. Misc. paper D-74-14. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, Mississippi.Google Scholar
- Lunt, R. R., C. B. Cooper, S. L. Johnson, J. E. Oberholtzer, G. R. Schimke, W. I. Watson (1977) An evaluation of the disposal of flue gas desulfurization wastes in mines and the ocean, initial assessment. EPA Report 600/7-77-051, Research Triangle Park, N.C.Google Scholar
- Mahloch, J. L. (1976) Chemical fixation of FDG sludges — physical and chemical properties. Presented at EPA symposium on Flue Gas Desulfurization, New Orleans, La.Google Scholar
- Mahloch, J. L. and D. E. Averett (1975) Pollution potential of raw and chemically fixed hazardous industrial wastes and flue gas desulfurization sludges: Interim Report. EPA-IAG Report D4-0569. Waterways Experiment Station, Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Ms.Google Scholar
- Marine Sciences Research Center (1978) Aquatic disposal field investigations: Eatons Neck disposal site, Long Island Sound, Appendix B: Final Report (Contract No. DACW51-75-C0016, Work Unit 1A06B), Waterways Experiment Station, Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, Ms.Google Scholar
- Neville, A. M. (1973) Properties of Concrete. Halsted Press, New York, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Seligman, J. (1978) Chemical and physical behavior of stabilized scrubber wastes and fly ash in seawater. M.S. Thesis. Marine Science Research Center, State University of New York, Stony Brook.Google Scholar
- Sokal, R. R. and F. J. Rohlf (1969) Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Strickland, J. D. H. and T. R. Parsons (1972) A Practical Handbook of Seawater Analysis. Bulletin 162 (2nd edition). Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Stumm, W. and J. J. Morgan (1970) Aquatic Chemistry, An Introduction Emphasizing Chemical Equilibria in Natural Waters. Wiley-Interscience, New York, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Swenson, E. G. (1968) Performance of Concrete: Resistance of Concrete to Sulfate and Other Environmental Conditions, University of Toronto Press, Toronto.Google Scholar
- Verbeck, G. J. (1956) Pore structure. ASTM special technical publication, 1969, 136–142.Google Scholar
- Zobell, C. E. (1946) Studies on redox potential of marine sediments. Bulletin American Association Petrology and Geology, 30, 477–513.Google Scholar