An Auger Electron Spectroscopy Study of Bronze Route Niobium-Tin Diffusion Layers
Nb3Sn made by solid state diffusion by the bronze route process (or one of its variants) is now commercially available from many sources and filamentary (FM) Nb3Sn conductors are being delivered for a wide range of both small and large scale devices. However, there is much that still remains unclear in the properties of FM Nb3Sn composites. The critical current density (Jc) is known to be sensitive to the state of stress existing in the Nb3Sn1,2 and to the degree of stoichiometry3 in the layer. It is also to be expected that the concentration of impurities in the Nb3Sn layer will be of importance but as yet little has been reported on this subject. As a result of this threefold dependence of Jc, most master curves for Jc for FM Nb3Sn are rather conservative and the specification of Jc for a particular composite is still generally a subject of empirical investigation, after the composite has been made.
KeywordsSignal Height Auger Peak Rutherford Back Scattering Scan Auger Microprobe Nb3Sn Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Rupp, IEEE Trans. on magnetics MAG-15:189 (1979).Google Scholar
- 2.J. W. Ekin, IEEE Trans, on Magnetics MAG-15: 197 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.D. C. Larbalestier, Proc. of 6th Intl. Conf. on Magnet Technology MT-6:1080, 1978, ALFA Publishing Co., Bratislava, Czechoslavakia.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Bevk, J. P. Harbison, and J. L. Bell, _J. Appl. Phys. 49: 6031 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.D. B. Smathers and D. C. Larbalestier, to appear in Adv. In Cryogenic Eng. 26 (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Luhman, M. Suenaga, and C. J. Klamut, Adv. in Cryogenic Eng. 24:325 (1978). 10. A. W. West and R. Rawlings, J. Mat. Sei. 12:1862 (1974).Google Scholar
- 10.A. W. West and R. Rawlings, J. mat. Sci. 12:1862 (1974).Google Scholar
- 11.L. E. Davis, N. C. MacDonald, P. N. Palmberg, G. E. Riach, and R. E. Weber, “Handbook of Auger Electron Spectroscopy”, 2nd Edition, Physical Electronic Industries, Eden, Prairie, MN (1976).Google Scholar
- 12.J. J. Hanak, K. Strater, and G. W. Cullen, RCA Review 25: 342 (1964).Google Scholar
- 13.T. H. Courtney, G. W. Pearsall, and J. Wulff, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 233: 212 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.D. C. Larbalestier, P. E. Madsen, J. A. Lee, M. N. Wilson, and J. P. Charlesworth, IEEE Trans, on Magnetics MAG-11: 247 (1975).Google Scholar
- 15.H. W. Schadler, L. M. Osika, G. P. Salvo, and V. J. DeCarlo, Trans. Met. Soc. AIME 230: 1074 (1964).Google Scholar