Components of Data Base Planning
One of the major administrative tasks assigned to the dba is the responsibility for data base planning. This responsibility entails setting goals and objectives for data base content and operation as well as selecting technical and organizational alternatives that most effectively utilize company resources to achieve these goals. Goals must be set in the context of organizational goals and management objectives. The selection of alternatives must reflect a knowledge of current and projected technological developments as well as an appreciation of the organizational implications of managing data as a resource.
KeywordsData Base Query Language Operational Goal Organizational Goal Data Base System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Radford, K. J., Information Systems in Management, Reston Publication Company, Prentice-Hall, Reston, Va., 1973.Google Scholar
- 2.Guide, The Data Base Administrator, Report of the Guide dba Project, 1973. (Available from Guide International, 111 E. Wacker Drive, Chicago, 111. 60601.)Google Scholar
- 3.Weldon, J. L., Data Base Administration: Theory and Practice, New York University Graduate School of Business Administration Working Paper No. 75-75, September 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Guide, Establishing the Data Administrator Function, guide edaf Project Report. (Available from Guide International, 111 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, 111. 60601.)Google Scholar
- 5.The cautious path to data base, EDP Analyzer 11(6), June 1973.Google Scholar
- 6.Tillinghast, J., Establishing a Framework for Data Base Planning, Auerbach Data Base Management System Portfolio No. 21-02-02, Auerbach Publishers, Pennsauken, N.J., 1976.Google Scholar
- 7.McFadden, F. R., and J. D. Suver, Costs and benefits of a data base system, Harvard Business Review, pp. 131-139, January–February 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.Cohen, Leo J., Pre-Data Base Survey, Performance Development Corp., 1101 State Road, Princeton, N.J. 08540., 1978.Google Scholar
- 9.Robinson, S. L., Justifying a Data Base System, Auerbach Data Base Management System Portfolio No. 21-02-01, Auerbach Publishers, Pennsauken, N.J., 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Sibley, E.H., and A. G. Merten, Implementation of a generalized data base management system within an organization, Management Informatics 2(1), pp. 21–31, 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.Planning for DBMS conversions, EDP Analyzer 16(5), May 1978.Google Scholar