Ultrasonic and X-Ray Radiographic Inspection and Characterization of Defects in Gr/Aℓ Composites
Ultrasonics and X-ray radiographic nondestructive inspection techniques have been evaluated and compared with the ultimate goal of developing quality assurance procedures for use in the manufacture of basic structural shapes of Graphite/Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites. To achieve this end, Gr/Aℓ wire, basic panel, structural shapes and stringer stiffened panels were nondestructively inspected, tested, and the defects microstructurally characterized. Flaw indications observed in X-ray radiographic and ultrasonic inspections were interpreted by metallographic examination. The Defect-Property Sensitivity Analysis (DPSA) program is a continuing effort directed at a more rigorous definition of test variables. (Refs. 1 through 4).
KeywordsMetal Matrix Composite Longitudinal Crack Surface Foil Ultrasonic Inspection Sound Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Davis, L. W. and Sullivan, P. G., “Exploratory Development of Graphite-Aluminum Composites,” NETCO Final Technical Report to Naval Sea Systems Command under Contract N00024–76-C-5334, October 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Pfeifer, W. H. and Young, R. C., “The Development of Graphite Aluminum Structural Hardware for Launch Vehicle Application,” NETCO Final Technical Report to Naval Surface Weapons Center under Contract N60921–76-C-0219, March 1, 1978.Google Scholar
- 3.Pfeifer, W. H., “The Development of an Advanced Metal Matrix Composites Program Plan for DoD Applications,” NETCO Quarterly Progress Report No. 4 to Naval Surface Weapons Center, November 1, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.Raymond, L. and Romano, T., “Review of and Future Trends in NDE of Metal Matrix Composites,” Paper presented at 4th Annual Conference of Composites and Advanced Ceramic Materials, Cocoa Beach, Florida, January 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.“Production of Graphite-Aluminum Sheet, Plate and Structural Shapes with Inspection, Quality Control and Characterization,” DWA Composite Specialties, Inc. Final Report of Naval Ordnance Station under Contract N00197–78-C-0150, September 12, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.Harrigan, W. C., Jr. and Hudson, S. P., “Inspection of Graphite-Aluminum Composites by Means of Holography,” Prepared for Space and Missile Systems Organization, Air Force Systems Command under Contract No. F040701–76-C-0077, June 21, 1977.Google Scholar
- 7.Anderson, C. W. and Blessing, G. V., “Detection of Material Defects in Graphite-Reinforced Aluminum,” NSWCTR 79–222, September 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Chaskelis, H. H., “Study of the Problems Associated with the Ultrasonic Inspection of Graphite-Aluminum Composites,” Paper presented at the 4th Annual Conference of Composites and Advanced Ceramic Materials, Cocoa Beach, Florida, January 1980.Google Scholar