A Fuzzy Analysis of Consensus in Small Groups
This paper examines a new measure of consensus in small groups based on fuzzy mathematics which overcomes the difficulties found in other fuzzy consensus measures. The method involves the construction of α-Consensus measures from fuzzy relations. These measures are integrated over a to produce a measure of small group consensus. This procedure is useful in analyzing how groups reach a decision. Results of an experimental application of this fuzzy analysis procedure are given to illustrate the proposed technique.
KeywordsGroup Consensus Coalition Structure Fuzzy Relation Fuzzy Measure Preference Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. M. Blin, Fuzzy Relations in Group Decision Theory, J. Cybernetics, 17–22 (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.J. M. Blin and Whins ton, Fuzzy Sets and Social Choice, J. Cybernetics, 4, 3–28 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.D. S. Gouran, “Discussion: The Process of Group Decision Making” Harper and Row, New York (1974).Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Kline, Orientation and Group Consensus, Central States Speech J., 44–47 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.T. J. Knutson, An Experimental Study of the Effects of Orientation Behavior on Small Group Consensus, Speech Monographs, 159–165 (1972).Google Scholar
- 7.A. C. Kowitz and T. J. Knutson, Effects of Information Type and Orientation on Consensus-Achievement in Substantive Affective Small Group Conflict, paper presented at the Western Speech Communication Assoc. Conv., Seattle (Nov. 1975).Google Scholar
- 9.R. K. Ragade, Profile Transformation Algebra and Group Consensus Formation Through Fuzzy Sets, in: “Fuzzy Automata and Decision Processes,” North Holland, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 11.B. Spillman, R. Spillman, J. Bezdek, A Dynamic Measure of Consensus in Small Decision Making Groups, paper presented at the Speech Communication Assoc. Conv., Washington, D.C. (Dec. 1977a).Google Scholar
- 12.B. Spillman, R. Spillman, and J. Bezdek, New Methodologies for Communication Research: Application of Fuzzy Mathematics, paper presented at the Western Speech Communication Assoc. Conv., Phoenix (1977b).Google Scholar
- 13.B. Spillman, R. Spillman, and J. Bezdek, Development of an Instrument for the Dynamic Measurement of Consensus, Comm. Monographs, 1–12 (1979).Google Scholar
- 14.L. Zadeh, Fuzzy Sets, Information and Control, 338–351 (1965).Google Scholar