Mutagen-Sensitive Mutants in Neurospora
Initial work on the fungus Neurospora crassa has shown that at least two DNA-repair systems exist in this eukaryote: excision repair and a mutation-prone repair. The evidence suggests that there is also a third repair system. Recently, new mutagen-sensitive strains have been isolated in several laboratories, but they are not yet fully characterized. A hunt for cytoplasmically inherited UV sensitivity has failed to turn up any such mutants among 25 new UV-sensitive isolates.
KeywordsNeurospora Crassa Sensitive Mutant Cytoplasmic Factor Thymine Dimer Mendelian Gene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Fincham, J. R. S., and P. R. Day, in: Fungal Genetics, 3rd ed., Botanical Monographs, Vol. 4, Blackwell Scientific, Oxford-Edinburgh, 1971, pp. 314, 320.Google Scholar
- 6.Fraser, M. J., S. Kwong, D. M. Galer, and T. Y.-K. Chow, Regulation by proteinases of a putative Rec − nuclease of Neurospora, in: DNA Repair Mechanisms, P. C. Hanawalt, E. C. Friedberg, and C. F. Fox, Eds., Academic Press, New York, 1978, pp. 441–444.Google Scholar
- 8.Fraser, M. J., T. Y.-K. Chow, and E. Käfer, Nucleases and their control in wild-type and nuh mutants of Neurospora, This volume, p. 63.Google Scholar
- 12.Käfer, E., Sensitivity to methyl-methane-sulfonate in Neurospora, Neurospora Newsl., 25 (1978) 19.Google Scholar
- 14.Mehta, R. D., and J. Weijer, U.V. mutability in gamma-ray-sensitive mutants of Neurospora crassa, in: Symposium on Use of Radiation and Radioisotopes for Genetic Improvement of Industrial Microorganisms, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1971, pp. 63–71.Google Scholar
- 18.Raju, N. B., and D. D. Perkins, Barren perithecia in Neurospora crassa, Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 20 (1978) 54–59.Google Scholar
- 21.Schroeder, A. L., Genetic control of radiation sensitivity and DNA repair in Neurospora, in: Molecular Mechanisms for Repair of DNA, P. C. Hanawalt and R. B. Setlow, Eds., Part B, Plenum Press, New York, 1975, pp. 567–576.Google Scholar
- 22.Schroeder, A. L., and S. L. Norton, unpublished data.Google Scholar