Parameters Affecting Radionuclide Migration in Geologic Media
If geologic repositories are used for the isolation of nuclear waste, intruding groundwater could lead to dissolution of radionuclides and their subsequent transport to the biosphere. Interaction with the geologic media is one of the most important factors retarding such transport. It is therefore necessary to understand the many interrelated factors and processes that govern radionuclide transport. The effects of some of the parameters that may influence sorption and transport properties are being systematically investigated (1–6) at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory. Earlier studies were performed on three rock types specific to the Nevada Test Site (NTS). These are a quartz monzonite porphyry (Climax Stock), an argillite (Eleana Formation), and several varieties of rhyolitic tuff (Jackass Flats), described in Refs. 1–4. Several additional tuff samples have now been investigated (5, 6).
KeywordsGeologic Medium Geologic Repository Quartz Monzonite Sieve Fraction Radionuclide Transport
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. R. Erdal, B. P. Bayhurst, B. M. Crowe, W. R. Daniels, D. C. Hoffman, F. O. Lawrence, J. R. Smyth, J. L. Thompson, and K. Wolfsberg, “Laboratory Studies of Radionuclide Transport in Geologic Media,” IAEA/NEA Symposium on the Underground Disposal of Radioactive Wastes, Otaniemi, Finland, 2–6 July 1979 (in press).Google Scholar
- 2.B. R. Erdal, R. D. Aguilar, B. P. Bayhurst, W. R. Daniels, C. J. Duffy, F. O. Lawrence, S. Maestas, P. Q. Oliver, and K. Wolfsberg, Sorption-Desorption Studies on Granite, LA-7456-MS (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.B. R. Erdal, R. D. Aguilar, B. P. Bayhurst, P. Q. Oliver, and K. Wolfsberg, Sorption-Desorption Studies on Argillite, LA-7455MS (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.K. Wolfsberg, B. P. Bayhurst, B. M. Crowe, W. R. Daniels, B. R. Erdal, F. O. Lawrence, A. E. Norris, and J. R. Smyth, Sorption-Desorption Studies on Tuff. I. Initial Studies with Samples from the J-13 Drill Site, Jackass Flats, Nevada, LA-7480-MS (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.B. R. Erdal, Ed., Laboratory Studies on Radionuclide Distributions Between Selected Groundwaters and Geologic Media, October 1, 1978 - September 30, 1979, Annual Report, LA-8088-PR (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.E. N. Vine, R. D. Aguilar, B. P. Bayhurst, W. R. Daniels, S. J. DeVilliers, B. R. Erdal, F. O. Lawrence, S. Maestas, P. Q. Oliver, J. L. Thompson, and K. Wolfsberg, Sorption-Desorption Studies on Tuff. H. A Continuation of Studies with Samples from Jackass Flats, Nevada and Initial Studies with Samples from Yucca Mountain, Nevada, LA-8110-MS (1980).CrossRefGoogle Scholar