Comparison of Tailored Cement Formulations for Borehole Plugging in Crystalline Silicate Rocks and Evaporite Mineral Sequences
The development of adequate technology for repository sealing, which includes borehole plugging, formation grouting and shaft sealing, is an important aspect of safety assurance in the geologic waste isolation program. Boreholes or shafts which penetrate specific repository formations must be sealed adequately, for these artificial penetrations could provide the most direct pathway for release of radioactive waste (RW) nuclides into aquifers, and subsequently into the biosphere. Based upon results of previous studies (1–5), it is probable that cement-based materials (broadly considered) will fulfill the combination of plugging and sealing requirements most adequately, either alone or in combination with other component materials. Thus, current studies of cementitious composites are in progress by the investigators (6).
KeywordsRadioactive Waste Cement Paste Cementitious Composite Radioactive Waste Evaporite Mineral
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. M. Roy and W. B. White, ORNL/Sub-4091/1, May 31 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.R. T. Martin, Prepared for Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Contract ORNL-Sub-3960, June (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.D. L. Black, Prepared for Union Carbide, Oak Ridge, TN, WANL-TME-2870, June (1975).Google Scholar
- 4.D. M. Roy, B. E. Scheetz, E. L. White and M. Daimon, ONWI-5, 119, Oct (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.D. M. Roy, M. W. Grutzeck and P. H. Licastro, Topical Report, ONWI-30, Feb (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.D. M. Roy, ONWI/SUB/78/E512–00500–3 (Task I), Quarterly Progress Report, June 30 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.E. L. White, B. E. Scheetz, D. M. Roy, K. G. Zimmerman and M. W. Grutzeck, Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste • Management Vol. 1 ( G. J. McCarthy, ed. Plenum Press, NY 1979 ).Google Scholar
- 9.D. M. Roy, ONWI/SUB/78/E512–04200–1, Quarterly Progress Report, May 1-July 31 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.D’Appolonia, ONWI-15, Jan (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.D. M. Roy, M. Daimon, B. E. Scheetz, D. Wolfe-Confer and K. Asaga, Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste Management, Vol. 1 (G. J. McCarthy, ed. Plenum Press, NY 1979 ).Google Scholar
- 15.H. G. Smolczyk, Proc. 5th Intl. Symp. Chem. Cement, Tokyo, Vol. III, 274-280 (1969).Google Scholar
- 16.B. E. Scheetz, M. W. Grutzeck, L. K. Wakeley, and D. M. Roy, “Characterization of a Cement Borehole Plug in Bedded Evaporite From Southeastern New Mexico.” Topical Report, ONWI. July (1979).Google Scholar