Radioactive Waste Disposal in Geological Formations: Research Activities of the Commission of the European Communities
The Joint Research Center, which is directly operated by the Commission, has carried out a radioactive waste management program since 1973 under a four-year program plan sequence. The program is essentially directed to study the long term risks of geologic disposal of radioactive waste and to explore the feasibility and interest of an alternative waste management strategy (nuclear transmutation of actinides).
The indirect action program is a coordinated set of contractual activities carried out since 1975 in the European national laboratories under partial CEC financing (about 50%) under a five-year plan sequence.
KeywordsWaste Management Radioactive Waste Geological Repository Radioactive Waste Disposal Radioactive Waste Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Orlowski, F. Girardi and M. Bresesti, “CEC Program on Radioactive Waste Management: Disposal and Risk Assessment,” Proceedings of Symposium Waste Management 1976, University of Arizona, Tucson (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.S. Orlowski, “Le Programme de la Commission des Communautés Europeennes en Matiere de Déchets Radioactifs,” Rev. Genérale Nucléaire 6, 520 (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Venet, E. Della Loggia, W. Falke, B. Haiytink and P. Masure, “The R and D Program of the European Communities on Disposal of Radioactive Waste in Geological Formations,” International Symposium on Underground Disposal of Radioactive Waste, IAEA/NEA, Otaniemi, in press (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.The Community’s R and D Program on Radioactive Waste Management and Storage, Annual Reports EUR 5749 (1977), EUR 6128 (1978), in press (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.A Technical Guide for Design and Analysis of Monitoring Systems, I-V, Technical Reports EUR 5635 (1977), EUR 5636 (1977), EUR 5637 (1977), EUR 6027, V in press (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Girardi, G. Bertozzi and M. D’Alessandro, Long Term Risk Assessment of Radioactive Waste Disposal in Geological Formations, Technical Report EUR 5902 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.Risk Analysis and Geologic Modeling in Relation to the Disposal of Radioactive Wastes into Geological Formations,“ Workshop Proceedings, NEA, Paris (1977).Google Scholar