Methods For Separating Actinides From Reprocessing And Refabrication Plant Wastes
Chemical processing flowsheets have been developed to partition actinides from all actinide-bearing LWR fuel reprocessing and refabrication plant wastes. These wastes include high-activity-level liquids, scrap recovery liquors, HEPA filters and incinerator ashes, and chemical salt wastes such as sodium carbonate scrub solutions, detergent cleanup streams, and alkaline off-gas scrubber liquors. The separation processes that were adopted for this study are based on solvent extraction, cation exchange chromatography, and leaching with Ce4 +-HNO3 solution.
KeywordsCation Exchange Chromatography Fuel Reprocess High Level Liquid Waste Nuclear Waste Management Trivalent Actinide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. O. Blomeke, “A Program to Establish the Technical Feasibility and Inc“En”tives for Partitioning” Managem“En”t of Radioactive Waste: Waste Partitioning as an Alternative NR-CONF-001 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.A. G. Croff, D. W. Tedder, J. P. Drago, J. O. Blomeke, and J. J. Perona, A Preliminary Assessm“En”t of Partitioning and Transmutation as a Radioactive Waste Managem“En”t Concept, ORNL/TM-5808, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.D. W. Tedder, B. C. Finney, and J. O. Blomeke, Actinide Partitioning-Transmutation Program Final Report II. Partitioning Processes for LWR Fuel Reprocessing & Refabrication Plant Wastes, ORNL/T1–6982, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (In Press).Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Mclsaac, J. D. Baker, J. F. Krupa, R. E. LaPointe, D. H. Meikrantz, and N. C. Schroeder, Study of Bidentate Compounds for Separation of Actinides from Commercial LWR Reprocessing Wastes, ICP-1180, Idaho National “En”gineering Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.F. M. Scheitlin and W. D. Bond, Recovery of Plutonium from HEPA Filter Media by Continuously Leaching in a Packed Column with Electrolytically Produced Ce(IV) Nitrate and Nitric Acid,ORNL/TM-6802, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (In Press).Google Scholar
- 6.G. H. Thompson, Final Report - Program for Waste Management Analysis of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle - ORNL Actinide Recovery from Combustible Waste: The Ce(IV)-HNO 3 System, RFP-2907, Rocky Flats Plant, Gold“En”, CO (In Press).Google Scholar
- 7.E. J. Wheelwright, L. A. Bray, H. H. Van Tuyl, and H. T. Fullam, Flowsheet for Recovery of Curium from Power Reactor Fuel Reprocessing Plant Waste, BNWL-1831, Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Richland, WA (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.C. W. Forsberg, The Elution Sequence of Neptunium and Plutonium from a Cation Exchange Chromatography Column Eluted with Diethylenetriaminep“En”taacetic Acid (DTPA), ORNL/TM-6737, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.E. P. Horwitz, C. A. A. Bloomquist, G. W. Mason, R. A. Leonard, and A. A. Ziegler, The Recovery of Actinides from TBP-Na2CO3 Scrub Waste Solutions: The Aralex Process, ANL-79–74, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL (1979).Google Scholar