The Ischemic and Postischemic Effect on the Activities of Cerebral Monoamine Oxidase, Cytochrome Oxidase and Acetylcholinesterase in Mongolian Gerbils
Cerebral ischemia modifies many metabolites and enzymatic systems in the brain. However, little correlation was found between the altered levels of cerebral metabolites and the changes of some enzymatic activities such as cyclic nucleotide-related enzymes and ATPase (22). These investigations suggested that the enzyme activities in the cellular membranes especially the bound ones were more susceptible than the others to ischemia and/or recirculation. A particular sensitivity of the membrane’s properties to the ischemic injury was also implied by the observed synaptosomal decreased uptake and increased release of norepinephrine. Moreover, ischemia was found to depress greatly the activity of tyrosine hydroxylase and the content of biogenic neurotransmitters in the brain. Thus, the depletion of cerebral monoamines occurring in ischemia was accountable by the decreased synthesis and the augmented release of the amines (5, 15–20, 26, 28, 29).
KeywordsCerebral Ischemia Monoamine Oxidase Cytochrome Oxidase AChE Activity MONGOLIAN Gerbil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ellman, G.L., Courtney, K.D., Andres, V., Jr. and Featherstone, R.M. (1961): A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem. Pharmac. 7: 88–95.Google Scholar
- 9.Ito, U., Spatz, M., Walker, J.T., Jr. and Klatzo, I. (1975): Experimental cerebral ischemia in Mongolian gerbils. I. Light microscopic observations. Acta Neuropathol. ( Berl. ) 32: 209–223.Google Scholar
- 10.Kahn, K. (1972): The natural course of experimental cerebral infarction in the gerbil. Neurology (Minneap.) 22: 510–515.Google Scholar
- 15.Mrsulja, B.B., Mrsulja, B.J., Cvejie, V., Djuricie, B.M. and Rogac, LJ. (1978): Alterations of putative neurotransmitters and enzymes during ischemia in gerbil cerebral cortex. J. Neural Transm., Suppl. 14: 23–30.Google Scholar
- 16.Mrsulja, B.B., Mrsulja, B.J., Spatz, M., Ito, U., Walker, J.T., Jr. and Klatzo, I. (1976): Experimental cerebral ischemia in Mongolian gerbils. IV. Behaviour of biogenic amines. Acta Neuropathol. ( Berl. ) 36: 1–8.Google Scholar
- 22.Schwartz, J.P., Mrsulja, B.B., Mrsulja, B.J., Passonneau, J.V. and Klatzo, I. (1976): Alterations of cyclic nucleotide-related enzymes and of ATPase during unilateral ischemia and recirculation in gerbil cerebral cortex. J. Neurochem. 27: 101–107.Google Scholar
- 24.Tipton, K.F. and Youdim, M.B.H. (1976): Assay of monoamine oxidase. In: Monoamine Oxidase and its Inhibition, Ciba Foundation Symposium 39 (new series), Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 27.Whittaker, V.P. and Baker, I.A. (1972): The sub-cellular fractionation of brain tissue with special reference to the preparation of synaptosomes and their component organelles. In: Methods in Neurochemistry, Vol. II, pp. 2–52, F. Ranier (ed.), Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar