Metabolic Patterns in Cerebral Capillaries
Brain capillaries and parenchyma are morphologically and metabolically separate and distinct compartments; the function of endothelial cells in transporting substances from blood to brain requires some specialized properties. The simplicity in isolating cerebral capillaries permits the investigation on their biochemical properties. Such an approach has revealed that the enzymatic organization of brain capillaries differs from that of the parenchyma (4–7, 11, 15). The brain capillaries which we have been studying are most probably a part of the blood-brain barrier (BBB); hence it is tentatively proposed that the specific biochemical organization of the brain microvasculature regulates the transport of substrates across the blood to the brain.
KeywordsAmino Acid Transport Neutral Amino Acid Metabolic Pattern Cerebral Capillary Glycogen Synthetase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abe, T., Abe, K3, Swink, M.E., Klatzo, I. and Spatz, M. (1978): The H-norepinephrine uptake and fate in the isolated cerebral capillaries. Soc. Neuroscience, 8th Ann. Meet. (Abstracts), Vol. 4, p. 441.Google Scholar
- 6.Diuricié, B.M., Rogac, Lj., Spatz, M., Rakié, Lj.M. and Mrsulja, B.B. (1978): Brain microvessels. I. Enzymic activities. In: Adv. Neurology, Vol. 20, J. Cervos-Navarro, et al. (eds.), pp. 197–205, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 8.Hardebo, J.E., Edvinson, L., Falck, B., Lindvall, M., Owmen, Ch., Rosengren, E. and Svengaard, N.A. (1976): Experimental models for histochemical and chemical studies of the enzymatic blood-brain harrier for amine precursors. In: The Cerebral Vessel Wall, J. Cervos-Navarro et al., (eds.), pp. 233–244, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 11.Mrsulja, B.B. and Djuricie, B.M. (1979): Biochemical characteristics of cerebral capillaries. Symposium: The Cerebral Microvasculature, Galveston (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Orlowski, M. (1976): Possible role of glutathione in transport processes. In: Transport Phenomena in the Nervous System, G. Levy et al., (eds.) pp. 13–28, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 14.Rapoport, S.I. (1976): Blood-Brain Barrier in Physiology and Medicine, Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar