Prostaglandin-Induced Luteolysis in the Superluteinized Rat Ovary
The history of prostaglandin (PG) research in reproductive biology is characterized by discrepancies; completely different effects may be observed, and these seem to be related to numerous factors: the doses used, experimental design, in vivo, vs. in vitro, and others. It is now, however, firmly established that PGF2α is the luteolysin from the uterus in a number of animal species, first established in the sheep by McCracken et al. (1972) (for a review, see Horton and Poyser, 1976).
KeywordsCorpus Luteum Serum Progesterone Prostaglandin Analogue Pregnant Mare Serum Gonadotropin Progesterone Secretion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Csapo, A.1., and Mocsary, P., 1976, Menstrual induction with the PGF2a-analogue ICI 81008, Prostaglandins 11: 155.Google Scholar
- Eckstein, B., Raanan, M., Lerner, N., Cohen, S.: and Nimrod, A., 1977, The appearance of 20a-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in preovulatory follicles of immature rats treated with pregnant mare serum gonadotropin, J. Steroid Biochem. 8: 213.Google Scholar
- Fuchs, A.-R., Mok, E., and Sundaram, K., 1974, Luteolytic effects of prostaglandins in rat pregnancy, and reversal by luteinizing hormone, Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen) 76: 583.Google Scholar
- Horton, E.W., and Poyser, N.L., 1976, Uterine luteolytic hormone: A physiological role for prostaglandin F2,,, Physiol. Rev. 56: 595.Google Scholar
- Parlow, A.F., 1961, Bioassay of luteinizing hormone by ovarian ascorbic acid depletion, in: Human Pituitary Gonadotrophins ( A. Albert, ed.), pp. 300 - 310, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois.Google Scholar
- Russell, W., 1975, Luteolysis induced in pigtail monkeys (Macaca nemestrina) with prostaglandin F2„, ICI 80996 and ICI 81008, Prostaglandins 10: 163.Google Scholar
- Thorburn, G.D., and Hales, J.R.S., 1972, Selective reduction in blood flow to the ovine corpus luteum after infusion of prostaglandin F2„ into the uterine vein, Proc. Aust. Physiol. Pharmacol. Soc. 3:145.Google Scholar
- Torjesen, P.A., and Aakvaag, A., 1977, The serum levels of progesterone and 20adihydroprogesterone, and the ovarian LH, FSH and PRL binding during luteolysis of the superluteinized rat ovary, Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen) 86: 162.Google Scholar
- Torjesen, P.A., Dahlin, R., Haug, E., and Aakvaag, A., 1978, The sequence of hormonal changes during prostaglandin induced luteolysis of the superluteinized rat ovary, Acta Endocrinol. (Copenhagen) 87: 617.Google Scholar