Defect Characterization by Means of the Scanning Laser Acoustic Microscope (SLAM)
High frequency acoustic imaging represents a powerful technique for the nondestructive evaluation of optically opaque materials. In this report the Scanning Laser Acoustic Microscope (SLAM) is used to detect and characterize flaws in ceramics. SLAM micrographs showing typical examples of cracks, laminar flaws, porosity and solid inclusions are presented. The various flaw types are easily differentiated on the basis of their characterisitc acoustic signatures. The importance of an imaging approach to the nondestructive evaluation of ceramics is demonstrated.
KeywordsSilicon Nitride Flaw Type Acoustic Image Solid Inclusion Acoustic Microscope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. S. Kupperman, C. Sciammarella, N.P. Lapinski, A. Sather, D. Yuhas, L. Kessler, and N. F. Fiore, “Preliminary Evaluation of Several NDE Techniques for Silicon Nitride Gas-Turbine Rotors”, Argonne National Laboratory Report ANL-77-89, January 1978.Google Scholar
- 2.D. E. Yuhas, Characterization of Surface Flaws by Means of Acoustic Microscopy, First International Symposium on Ultrasonic Materials Characterization, June 7–9, 1978, National Bureau of Standards, Gaithersburg, MD., (In Press) ed by: H. Berger (1979.Google Scholar
- 3.D. S. Kupperman, L. Pahis, D. Yuhas, and T. McGraw, Acoustic Microscopy for Structural Ceramics, submitted Journal of American Ceramic Society, 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.D. E. Yuhas and L. W. Kessler, Scanning Laser Acoustic Microscope Applied to Failure Analysis; Proc. ATFA — 78 IEEE Inc., New York, N. Y. Catalog No. 78CH1407-6 REG6., pp. 25–29 (1978).Google Scholar
- 5.Acoustic Microscopy, SEM and Optical Microscopy: Correlative Investigations in Ceramics. Scanning Electron Microscopy 1979, 1, SEM Inc., AMF O’Hare, Il. 60666, pp. 103–110.Google Scholar
- 6.D. E. Yuhas, T. E. McGraw, and L. W. Kessler, Scanning Laser Acoustic Microscope Visualization of Solid Inclusions in Silicon Nitride, Proc. ARPA/AFML Conf. on Quantitative NDE., LaJolla., CA. 1979.Google Scholar
- 7.Commercially available under trade name S0N0MICR0SC0PE™ 100, Sonoscan, Inc., Bensenville, Illinois 60106.Google Scholar
- 8.L. W. Kessler and D. E. Yuhas, Acoustic Microscopy 1979, Proc. IEEE, 67, (4) pp. 526–536 (1979).Google Scholar
- 11.Micrograph Courtesy of J.J. Schuldies, Airesearch Mfg. Co., Phoenix, AR.Google Scholar