In this paper we present the results obtained from an experimental study of ‘reverse’ squeezing flows at relatively large Deborah numbers. The test fluid is contained between two flat, horizontal, circular plates each of radius a, the lower one being fixed while the upper one is free to move vertically. For time t < 0 the separation of the plates, h(t), is maintained at the constant value h0. At t=0 a vertical force F is applied to the upper plate and we focus attention on the behaviour of h(t) as time increases. Schematic diagrams of the flow geometry and initial conditions are shown in fig. 1.
KeywordsCircular Plate Vertical Force Experimental Trace Test Region Test Fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Stefan and K. Sitzgber, Akad. Wiss. Math. Natur. Wein, 69: 713 (1874).Google Scholar
- 2.J.R. Scott, Trans. Inst. Rubber Ind., 1: 169 (1931).Google Scholar
- 4.A. B. Metzner, Trans. A.S.M.E., 90F:531 (1968)Google Scholar
- 7.P. Parlato, M. Ch. E. Thesis, Univ. of Delaware, (1969)Google Scholar
- 9.J. M. Davies, Ph D. Thesis, Univ. of Wales, (1974)Google Scholar