Perspectives on Kinetic Theories of Polymer Solutions and their Use in Rheology
The purpose of this presentation is to summarize the present status of those molecular theories for polymer solutions that are relevant to rheological studies. We begin with a brief discussion of the equilibrium configurational distribution function in order to introduce notation and to discuss constraints in molecular models. This is followed by a summary of the results of efforts to get the nonequilibrium configurational distribution function which is needed for the calculation of flow properties. Finally a section is devoted to the development of the expression for the stress tensor and the rheological equation of state. Details of the developments are omitted, since they may be found in a recently published textbook on kinetic theory of polymeric liquids1 or in several recent research publications. In addition the recently published collection of classical papers on kinetic theory is very helpful2.
KeywordsPolymer Solution Kinetic Theory Hydrodynamic Interaction Rheological Equation Hookean Spring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.B. Bird, O. Hassager, R.C. Armstrong, and C.F. Curtiss, “Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, Vol. II. Kinetic Theory,” Wiley, New York (1977) — See Appendix to this paper for a list of errata in this book.Google Scholar
- 2.J.J. Hermans (Editor), “Polymer Solution Properties, Part II; Hydrocynamics and Light Scattering,” Dowden, Hutchinson, and Ross, Stroudsburg, Pa. (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Doi and S.F. Edwards, J. Chem. Soc, Faraday Trans. II 74:1789, 1802, 1818 (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.J. Riseman and J.G. Kirkwood, in “Rheology” (Ed. F.R. Eirich), Academic Press, New York (1956).Google Scholar
- 11.C.F. Curtiss and R.L. Hansen, U. Wisconsin Theoretical Institute Report (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.R.L. Hansen, Doctoral Dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison (1979).Google Scholar
- 13.C.F. Curtiss and R.B. Bird, Manuscript in Preparation.Google Scholar
- 21.R. Takserman-Krozer, J. Polym. Sci. A, 1:2477 (1963).Google Scholar
- 22.R. Takserman-Krozer, J. Polym. Sci. C, 16:2855 (1967).Google Scholar
- 25.R.B. Bird, P.J. Dotson, N.L. Johnson, J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. in press.Google Scholar
- 27.A.S. Lodge and Y. Wu, Rheol. Acta, 10:539 (1971).Google Scholar