Semiclassical Methods in Field Theories
Most of the materials presented in these lectures are taken from a series of publications listed in Refs. 1–4. The first three lectures are dealing with generalized WKB methods. In the last lecture, we discuss the physical origin of the instability associated with a constant B field in a classical Yang-Mills field theory.
KeywordsUnstable Mode Field Configuration Coulomb Field Temporal Gauge Semiclassical Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K.M. Bitar, S.J. Chang, G. Grammer and J.D. Stack, “A mechanism for destruction of order in the 2-d nonlinear a model” Preprint, 111-(TH)-78-17.Google Scholar
- 4.S.J. Chang and N. Weiss, “Instability of constant Yang-Mills fields”, Phys.Rev. D (in press).Google Scholar
- 6.S. Coleman, Phys. Rev. D15, 2929 (1977); l6, 1248 (E) (1977); C.G. Callan and S. Coleman, ibid 16, 1762 (1977).Google Scholar
- 9.There are several earlier and interesting works in this area. See, e.g. J.E. Mandula, Phys. Letters, 67B, 175 (1977); M. Magg, Phys. Letters 78B, 481 (1978); P. Sikivie and N. Weiss, Phys.Rev. Letters 40, 1411 (1978); Phys.Rev. D18, 3809 (1978). See also Ref .Google Scholar
- 11.This is analogous to what Mandula found in the case of an electric source. See Ref..Google Scholar