Precise γ-Ray Energies from Radionuclide Decay and the (n,γ) Reaction: Revised Values for The Neutron Mass and Selected Neutron Binding Energies
Precise measurements of γ-ray energies up to 3.5 MeV from several radionuclides have been made using Ge(Li) detectors. Also, the 1H(n,γ) reaction γ-ray energy was measured and from it a value was obtained for the deuteron binding energy. Combining this Sn(2H) with published mass differences, values were obtained for the neutron binding energies of 3H, 13C, 14C and 15N, and for the neutron mass excess. This value of Sn(15N) was used in conjunction with measured γ-ray energy differences to obtain energies of selected γ rays from the 15N(n,γ) reaction up to 10.8 MeV.
KeywordsMass Difference Neutron Capture Calibration Energy Slow Neutron Neutron Binding Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. G. Helmer, R. C. Greenwood and R. J. Gehrke, Atomic Masses and Fundamental Constants, Vol. 5, SPIed. by J. H. Sanders and A. H. Wapstra, (Plenum, New York, 1976), p. 30.Google Scholar
- 12.J. J. Reidy, The Electromagnetic Interaction in Nuclear Spectroscopy, ed. by W. D. Hamilton, (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1975), p. 873.Google Scholar
- 13.G. L. Borchert, W. Scheck and O. W. B. Schult, Atmic Masses and Fundamental Constants, Vol. 5, ed. by J. H. Sanders and A. H. Wapstra, (Plenum, New York, 1976) p. 42.Google Scholar
- 17.W. Schwitz and J. Kern, Proc. 2nd Intern. Symp. on Neutron Capture Gamma Ray Spectroscopy and Related Topics (RCN, Petten, 1975), p. 697.Google Scholar
- 27.Ts. Vylor, K. Ya Gromov, A. I. Ivanov, B. P. Osipenko, E. A. Frolov, V. G. Chumin, A. F. Shchus and M. F. Yudin, Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 28, 585 (1978).Google Scholar