Candidate Reagents for Activity Reduction in BWR and PWR Primary Systems
This paper is based on work sponsored by the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to investigate alternatives to the traditional campaign-type decontamination process for reducing radioactive fields around nuclear reactor primary systems. The strategy is to identify reagents which effectively remove activity when injected into the primary coolant during a normal reactor outage. Removal of the suspended radioactive species by filtration and ion exchange minimizes the volume of radioactive waste which must be processed.
KeywordsSteam Generator GLUCONIC Acid Primary System Scanning Electron Micro Nickel Ferrite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. J. Pettit, J. E. LeSurf, W. B. Stewart and S. B. Vaughan, “Decontamination of the Douglas Point Reactor by the CAN-Decon Process,” Paper No. 39 presented at Corrosion-78, Houston, TX, March 6–10, 1978, available from NACE, P.O. Box 986, Katy, TX 77450.Google Scholar
- 2.A. B. Johnson, Jr., B. Griggs and J. F. Remark, “Investigation of Chemicals and Methods of Dilute Reagent Decontamination for Potential Application in Light Water Reactors,” Paper No. 32 presented at the Corrosion-78, Houston, TX, March 6–10, 1978, available from NACE, P.O. Box 986, Katy, TX 77450.Google Scholar
- 3.A. B. Johnson, Jr. and B. Griggs, “Comparison of Decontamination Characteristics of Films from BWR and PWR Primary Systems,” Paper No. 161, presented at Corrosion-79, Atlanta, GA, March 12–16, 1979, available from NACE, P.O. Box 986, Katy, TX 77450.Google Scholar
- 4.Literature Review of Dilute Chemical Decontamination Processes for Water-Cooled Nuclear Reactors, EPRI NP-1033, Project 828–1, March 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.J. F. Remark, R. L. Dillon, and B. Griggs, I July 1, 1976 to December 31, 1976, BNSA-703, Battelle, Pacific Northwest Laboratories, Richland, WA 99352, August 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.A. B. Johnson, Jr., R. L. Dillon, B. Griggs and J. F. Remark, I January 1, 1977 to December 31, 1977, BN-SA-703–2, June 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.A. B. Johnson, Jr. R. L. Dillon, and B. Griggs, I January 1, 1978 to December 31, 1978, BN-SA-703–3 in press.Google Scholar
- 8.J. A. Ayres (ed.),I TID-25450, Ronald Press, New York, 1970, p. 840.Google Scholar
- 9.Characterization of Corrosion Products on Recirculation and Bypass Lines at Millstone-1 EPRI NP-949, Project 819–1, December 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.L. D. Anstine, BWR Decontamination and Corrosion Product Characterization NEDE-12665, March 1977.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Blok, Summary Report-Water Chemistry Program Extension NEDC-21550, June 1977.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Oertel, et al., Decontamination of Primary Loop Equipment with Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid BNWL-TR-290, January 25, 1978.Google Scholar