Dissolution Characteristics of Metal Oxides in Water Cooled Reactors
The CAN-DECON process is a dilute chemical decontamination process developed in Canada to decontaminate CANDU PHW reactors. The chemical reactions involved in dissolution of magnetite, the principal component of oxide films in CANDU PHW reactors, are described.
The compositions of oxide films in CANDU BLWs, BWRs, and PWRs are also described. The types of reagents needed to dissolve these films are discussed. Reducing type reagents are needed for PHWs, BLWs, and BWRs while an oxidizing type reagent is needed for PWRs. The reasons for this are discussed.
Recent loop decontamination tests have been performed in Canada with BWR and PWR specimens. Using the CAN-DECON process and a reducing type reagent, typical decontamination factors on BWR specimens are 10 to 20. With a new oxidizing reagent, decontamination factors of 5 to 15 are being obtained on Inconel and stainless steel PWR specimens.
KeywordsCation Exchange Resin Nickel Ferrite Decontamination Factor Oxide Dissolution Boiler Tube
CANada Deuterium Uranium
Pressurized Heavy Water
Boiling Light Water
Boiling Water Reactor
Pressurized Water Reactor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.J. Pettit, J.E. LeSurf, W.B. Stewart, R.J. Strickert, S.B. Vaughan, “Decontamination Of The Douglas Point Reactor By The CAN-DECON Process”, Paper No. 39, CORROSION/78, Houston, Texas (Mar. 78)Google Scholar
- 2.B. Montford, T.E. Rummery, “Properties of Douglas Point Generating Station Heat Transport Corrosion Products”, Report No. AECL-4444, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Pinawa, Manitoba (Sept. 75)Google Scholar
- 3.T.E. Rummery, D.W. Shoesmith, Private Communication, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, Pinawa, Manitoba (Nov. 76)Google Scholar
- 4.Nuclear Engineering International (Nov. 72)Google Scholar
- 5.D.J. Turner, “Some Thermodynamic Aspects Of Decontamination in SGHWR And Other BWRs, Part II: Decontamination With Citric Acid And Other Polybasic Acids’’, CEGB Report, RD/L/N213/75 (Feb. 77)Google Scholar
- 6.D.E. Harmer, O.U. Anders, J.J. Holloway, “Developing A Solvent, Process, Equipment, And Procedures For Decontaminating The Dresden-1 Reactor”, presented at the 37th Annual Meeting of the American Power Conference, Chicago, Illinois (21–23 Apr. 75)Google Scholar