Rape Typology and the Coping Behavior of Rape Victims
To understand rape from the victim’s point of view, we spent a year talking with all rape victims admitted to the emergency floors of the Boston City Hospital. It became clear in our conversations that rape is an act initiated by the assailant, and that it is not primarily a sexual act but an act of violence. We learned that it was very important to the victims how their assailants gained access to them, that is, the mode of attack. We therefore analyzed all these cases, whether adult, adolescent, or child victims, and we developed a typology of rape based on the assailant’s method of attack. The two main styles were (1) the blitz rape and (2) the confidence rape.
KeywordsCoping Behavior Crisis Intervention Rape Victim Hospital Emergency Room Gang Rape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, J. E., & Lindemann, E. Coping with long-term disability. In G. Coelho, D. Hamburg, & J. Adams, (Eds.), Coping and adaptation. New York: Basic Books, 1974, pp. 127–138.Google Scholar
- Burgess, A. W., & Holmstrom, L. L. Rape: Victims of crisis. Bowie, Md.: Robert J. Brady Company, 1974.Google Scholar
- Burgess, A. W., & Lazare, A. Community mental health: Target populations. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1976.Google Scholar
- Giacenti, T. A., & Tjaden, C. The crime of rape in Denver. Denver, Colo.: Denver High Impact Anticrime Council (unpublished report), 1973.Google Scholar
- Murphy, L. B. Coping, vulnerability and resilience in childhood. In G. Coelho, D. Hamburg, & J. Adams (Eds.), Coping and adaptation. New York: Basic Books, 1974, pp. 69–100.Google Scholar
- Parad, H. J., & Resnik, H. L. P. The practice of crisis intervention in emergency care. In H. L. P. Resnik, & H. L. Ruben, (Eds.), Emergency psychiatric care. Bowie, Md.: Charles Press, 1975, pp. 23–34.Google Scholar
- Queens Bench Foundation. Rape victimization study. San Francisco, Calif.: Queens Bench Foundation, 1975.Google Scholar
- Schultz, L. G. (Ed.). Rape victimology. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C Thomas, 1975.Google Scholar