Styrene Copolymerization with Rubber. I. Studies of Polystyrene Grafting to Rubber: Molecular Weight Characteristics of Homopolystyrene Matrix
Styrene copolymerization with rubber initiated by a mixture of peroxides with different thermal stabilities is widely used for preparing HIPS (high impact polystyrene) in industry. Such initiation allows regulation of the process rate at all stages and wide variation of the physical and chemical properties of the material. Full knowledge of qualitative regularities in molecular weight as well as structural parameters of formation of polymer compositions provides grounds for theoretical consideration of the problem of optimal steering reactions of polymer synthesis. However, these data for styrene copolymerization with elastomers in the presence of a peroxide mixture are, for all practical purposes, not available in the literature. This constitutes the subject of this research work.
KeywordsGraft Copolymer Benzoyl Peroxide Rubber Phase Molecular Weight Characteristic Equilibrium Degree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. V. Nalimov, N. A. Tchernova, Statistic Methods of Planning Extremal Experiments, Nauka, Moscow (1965).Google Scholar
- 3.V. P. Budtov, N. G. Podosenova, E. I. Yegorova, Vysokomol. Soed., A XIX, 2160 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Melnichenko, Candidate Thesis, Donetsk (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.J. L. Locatelli, G. Riess, Angew. Makromol. Chem., 23, 161 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.D. J. Stein, G. Fahrbach, H. Adler, Angew. Makromol. Chem., 38, 67 C1974 ).Google Scholar
- 9.V. D. Yenalyev, N. A. Noskova, V. I. Melnichenko, ACS Polym. Prepr., 37, 645 (1977).Google Scholar