A Programme of Interview Training for Medical Students
For some years, there has been widespread concern that doctors and patients often fail to communicate (British Medical Journal editorial, 5 June, 1976). Much of a doctor’s work consists of gathering information from patients, yet a growing body of evidence suggests that traditional methods of clinical training are failing even to equip medical students with the basic skills of interviewing (Maguire & Rutter, 1976a). The purpose of this paper is first to present some evidence of our own, and then to report an attempt to develop and evaluate a simple training programme. The research was conducted by myself and Dr. Peter Maguire while we were both in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Oxford, and the findings have previously been reported in Maguire & Rutter (1976a, b) and Rutter & Maguire (1976).
KeywordsMedical Student Previous Episode Traditional Training Untrained Group Senior Medical Student
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Helfer, R. E., 1970, An objective comparison of the paediatric interviewing skills of freshmen and senior medical students, Paediat., 45:623–627.Google Scholar
- Korsch, B. M., Gozzi, E. K. and Francis, V., 1968, Gaps in doctorpatient communications. I. Doctor-patient interaction and patient satisfaction, Paediat., 42:855–871.Google Scholar
- Maguire, G. P., 1976, Psychological and social sequelae of mastectomy, in: “Modern Perspectives in Psychiatric Aspects of Surgery”, J. Howells, ed., Bruner-Mazel, New York.Google Scholar
- Maguire, G. P., Julier, D. L., Hawton, K. E. and Bancroft, J. H. J., 1974, Psychiatric morbidity and referral on two general medical wards, Br.Med.J., 1974i:268-270.Google Scholar
- Maguire, G. P. and Rutter, D. R., 1976a Training medical students to communicate, in: “Communication between Doctors and Patients”, A. E. Bennett, ed., Oxford University Press, London.Google Scholar
- Maguire, G. P. and Rutter, D. R., 1976b, History-taking for medical students. I. Deficiencies in performance, Lancet, 1976ii: 556–558.Google Scholar
- Rutter, D. R. and Maguire, G. P., 1976, History-taking for medical students. II. Evaluation of a training programme, Lancet, 1976ii: 558–560.Google Scholar
- Siegel, S., 1956, “Non-parametric Statistics”, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar